The salamander is a small fire dwelling lizard that feeds on flames. They are born out of flames, specifically called salamander fires, and appear to be blue or red depending on the heat of the flames. They live as long as the flames that spawned them.
The salamander can survive outside out of the flames that birthed it for up to six hours if fed on pepper. Salamander blood has powerful regenerative and curative properties. Muggle world salamanders are amphibians, not lizards, and have no affinity for fire. It's unknown if salamanders can shed their skin like Muggle world salamanders.
There are different types of salamanders, such as the blue and the scarlet variety.
Fred and George Weasley once experimented with feeding fireworks to a salamander, which caused it to rocket around the room, emitting Tangerine stars. The salamander ended up running back into the fireplace in the room, looking scared.
Scale rot is an illness that can affect both salamanders and dragons. In 1996, Hagrid mentioned that he needed to rub more chilli powder on a couple of salamanders that had scale rot. If left untreated, it can cause a salamander's tail to detach.
There also exists a variant species called the Frost Salamander that instead of dwelling in fire is closely associated with ice.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|
|Magical Creatures by classification|