|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|Rubeus Hagrid's umbrella|
To hold Rubeus Hagrid's wand
- Ollivander: "Good wand, that one. But I suppose they snapped it in half when you got expelled?"
- Rubeus Hagrid: "Er — yes, they did, yes. I've still got the pieces, though."
- Ollivander: "But you don't use them?"
- Rubeus Hagrid: "Oh, no, sir."
- — Garrick Ollivander on Rubeus Hagrid's wand, inside his umbrella.[src]
During his third year at Hogwarts, Hagrid was falsely accused by Tom Riddle to have released a creature on the school that killed a muggle-born witch named Myrtle. As a result of this, his wand was destroyed by the Ministry of Magic. Although it was destroyed, Dumbledore allowed him to secretly keep the shards of his wand in the shaft of a pink umbrella, the shards still possessing a good portion of the wand's original power. However, since he never graduated, Hagrid's magic was never flawless; so even though he was able to use the pink umbrella as a wand substitute, he did not have the skill required for even simple feats of magic. This caused him to rarely perform the spells that he wanted to.
Examples of unsuccessful magicEdit
- In 1991, Hagrid tried to transfigure Dudley Dursley into a pig, but instead just gave him a pig's tail. He later implied that he couldn't turn him into a pig because Dudley was already much like one.
- In 1997, during the Battle of the Seven Potters, Hagrid tried to repair the sidecar of Sirius Black's motorcycle, but instead destroyed it completely.
Examples of successful magicEdit
- In 1991, Hagrid made fire in the fireplace at Hut-on-the-Rock.
- In 1991, Hagrid made the row boat that him and Harry Potter were using to get back to the mainland go faster by tapping it twice on the side.
- In 1991 and 1996, Hagrid used his umbrella to gain access to Diagon Alley.
- In 1992, Hagrid insinuated to Harry that he had used magic to enlarge the pumpkins to the size of boulders.
- In 1997, Hagrid successfully cast the Aguamenti Charm, after Harry reminded him what the incantation was, together with Harry they put out the fire that was consuming his hut.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned indirectly)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets