- "The rock cakes almost broke their teeth."
- — Harry's and Ron's opinion on Hagrid's rock cakes[src]
Rock cakes are a type of fruitcakes. They are supposed to look and (supposedly) taste somewhat like a rock, and even to have a hard surface, but not to resemble a rock quite as closely as Hagrid's version seemed to. Eating one of Hagrid's rock cakes was exactly like eating a rock, as they were so hard that they could break teeth instead of being a lovely treat. Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Harry Potter forcibly ate a few of these whenever they visited Rubeus Hagrid. Although they complained about the rock cakes' hardness, stickiness, and tastelessness, they never had the heart to tell Hagrid this, as it would have hurt his feelings. He served them to Harry and Ron for the first time after their first week of lessons in 1991, ones that contained raisins.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Pottermore (Mentioned on Pottermore Insider)