|Also known as||
Brown and white
Ripper was one of Marjorie Dursley's twelve bulldogs. The dog whined while Marjorie was away, resulting in her taking him if she went away on trips (i.e. to visit her brother at Privet Drive), while leaving the others to be cared for by Colonel Fubster.
Marjorie also has the habit of sharing table scraps with him, such as licking the plate or licking brandy or wine off of her glass during mealtimes. In 1993, Marjorie brought Ripper with her when paying a visit to the Dursleys. His growling directed Marjorie's attention to Harry, but he later sank his teeth into Vernon's leg during her being blown up.
Behind the scenes
- In the American version, Harry treads on Ripper's tail, but in the British version he treads on his paw.
- Ripper and Aunt Marge's relationship can be compared to the relationship between the fictitious American crime-drama from the '80s, Jake and the Fat Man where the main character, J.L McCabe was an older, very large and beefy man, who like Marge was quick-tempered and enjoyed excessive food and drink. His bulldog Max was his companion and he was always seen pampering him.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears in flashback(s))