Ripper was one of Marjorie Dursley's twelve bulldogs. The dog whined while Marjorie was away, resulting in her taking him if she went away on trips (for example, to visit her brother at Privet Drive), while leaving the others to be cared for by Colonel Fubster.
Marjorie also has the habit of sharing table scraps with him, such as licking the plate or licking brandy or wine off of her glass during mealtimes. In 1993, Marjorie brought Ripper with her when paying a visit to the Dursleys. His growling directed Marjorie's attention to Harry, but he later sank his teeth into Vernon's leg when she started to float away after being blown up by Harry.
In December 2012 comments written for Pottermore, Rowling stated that she regretted making Marge a breeder of bulldogs, as she now knows them to be a non-aggressive breed, and her sister owns one. She does note, however, that they do look grumpy, and thus suited Marge.
Behind the scenes
- In the American version, Harry treads on Ripper's tail, but in the British version he treads on his paw.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault