At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
In the 18th Century, soon after Dorcus Twelvetrees revealed the secret adresses of Ilvermorny and the MACUSA Headquarters to a scourer descendant; Bartholomew Barebone and a band of gun wielding friends plotted to kill all wizards and witches living in the area. Bartholomew planted himself outside of a building and opened fire when a group of people he assumed to be MACUSA employees exited. However, the people were in fact No-Majs unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. None of them were killed. Bartholomew was arrested by No-Maj authorities and imprisoned for his crime.
In 1991, Vernon Dursley bought a rifle to protect his family during their stay at the Hut-on-the-Rock, but when the half-giant Rubeus Hagrid visited them on the island unexpectedly, he easily destroyed the rifle by bending it into a knot.
When Sirius Black pulled out his wand in an attempt to kill Peter Pettigrew for his treason, the Muggle witnesses thought he brought out a gun. Later, after his escape from Azkaban, Muggle news reports stated that he was carrying a gun. Arthur Weasley also had a report on firearms, assigned to him by the Auror Office during the hunt for Black, that was a month overdue; Kingsley Shacklebolt apparently misread the word as "fireleg".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Vernon comes downstairs with a double-barrelled shotgun, rather than a rifle. Hagrid bends the barrels of the shotgun upwards, causing Vernon to discharge it into the ceiling.
- Despite modern wizard-kind not being familiar with firearms, back in the past they did, with Rancorous even making use of a blunderbuss.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned in song)