Point wand at target
Releases the target's grip
- "...I forced him to let go with a Revulsion Jinx..."
- —Hermione explaining her use of the spell on Yaxley.[src]
The Revulsion Jinx (Relashio) is a spell that forces an object or person to release its hold on something, or repels objects with the force of another object.
|Known Caster||How Used|
|Bob Ogden||Used it to knock Marvolo Gaunt backward — away from his daughter, who he was attempting to strangle, because of her love for a Muggle, Tom Riddle Sr..|
|Hermione Granger||Used the jinx to similar effect in 1997 to force Death Eater Yaxley to release her arm, which he grabbed in order to Disapparate with her, Harry, and Ron.|
|Used it to force chains to withdraw into the arms of a chair in order to free Mary Cattermole from the Muggle-Born Registration Commission when she, Ron, and Harry infiltrated the Ministry of Magic in 1997.|
|Ron Weasley||Used on Peter Pettigrew's silver hand to prevent it from slowly choking himself, although it had no effect whatsoever.|
|Harry Potter||Used on the chains of a dragon during the trio's break-in of Gringotts, in order to facilitate their escape.|
|Used in 1995 during the second task of the Triwizard Tournament in order to free his ankle from the Grindylow's grip.|
- Mundungus Fletcher may have used this spell in 1996 outside the Three Broomsticks, when Harry, angered by Mundungus's plundering of Sirius Black's possessions, grabbed the former by the throat.
- Remus Lupin may have used this spell against Harry Potter in 1997 after Harry accused him of cowardice for deciding to abandon his family.
Behind the scenes
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter used it against the Grindylows during the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. The spell produced a flash along with a jet of boiling water.
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Dolores Umbridge is seen using a spell to force a kissing couple away from each other. The spell used may have been a non-verbal form of the Revulsion Jinx.
- In the film version Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, it was Hermione Granger who used this jinx to free the dragon guarding the high-security vaults in Gringotts Banks during the 1998 Break-in of Gringotts Wizarding Bank.
Probably from the French verb relâcher meaning "to release, to set free", or Italian rilascio (pronounced the same way as the spell) meaning "I release".
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)