Point wand at target
Reverses the effect of the Stunning Spell
- "He raised his own wand, pointed it at Winky, and said, “Rennervate!” Winky stirred feebly."
- —Amos Diggory uses the spell on Winky.[src]
Rennervate is the counter-spell to the Stunning Spell. It is used to bring Stunned individuals back to consciousness. It will not work against certain kinds of Dark magic, for instance, the effects of the Drink of Despair. Rennervate is also useless for resurrecting the deceased.
Harry Potter discovered the limitations of Rennervate when he attempted to revive Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Headmaster Albus Dumbledore while retrieving one of Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes. In this case, water was the only substance that could revive Dumbledore.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First identified as Reviving Spell)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)