At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Reviving Spell (Rennervate) is a charm that awakens whomever the caster's wand is pointed at. It could be called a counter-spell for the stunning spell except that another wizard must do it.
This spell is accompanied by a flash of brilliantly coloured red light.
This can be used to counteract a single Stunning Spell, although it is ineffective against multiple Stunners hitting an individual. It's also ineffective against Dark Magic such as the Drink of Despair.
|Amos Diggory||25 August, 1994||Revived the stunned Winky with this spell after the Quidditch World Cup.|
|Albus Dumbledore||24 May, 1995||Dumbledore used it to revive Viktor Krum after he was stunned while watching over Bartemius Crouch Senior.|
|24 June, 1995||He used it to revive Barty Crouch Jr|
|Harry Potter||30 June, 1997||Harry used it to try and revive an unconscious Dumbledore after he drank the Drink of Despair, while in the crystal cave.|
Behind the scenes
- Despite this spell being used to revive unconscious people, it is ineffective against the Full Body-Bind Curse, which can be undone by the General Counter-Spell. This is probably because the former is a curse, and also because of the fact that rather than being rendered unconscious, the victim is being paralysed and still conscious. Rennervate acts as a more specific counter-charm to Stunning Spells, Sleeping potions and presumably the bewitched sleep spell as well, but can also be used on sleeping targets anyway.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 26 (The Cave)
- ↑ Pronunciation Guide at Scholastic Official Site
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 9 (The Dark Mark)
- ↑ Pottermore (see this URL)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 32 (Out of the Fire)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 28 (The Madness of Mr Crouch)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harry Potter Lexicon: changes in text