Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- " [...] I forced him to let go with a Revulsion Jinx [...] "
- —Hermione explaining her use of the spell on Yaxley[src]
The Revulsion Jinx (Relashio) is a spell that forces an object or person to release its hold on something, or repels objects with the force of another object.
Releases a jet of fiery purple sparks at the target. Underwater, this spell fires a jet of boiling water at whatever the caster is pointing his or her wand at.
|Bob Ogden||Used it to knock Marvolo Gaunt backward — away from his daughter, who he was attempting to strangle, because of her love for a Muggle, Tom Riddle Snr.|
|Hermione Granger||Used the jinx to similar effect in 1997 to force Death Eater Yaxley to release her arm, which he grabbed in order to Disapparate with her, Harry, and Ron.|
|Used it to force chains to withdraw into the arms of a chair in order to free Mary Cattermole from the Muggle-Born Registration Commission when she, Ron, and Harry infiltrated the Ministry of Magic in 1997.|
|Ron Weasley||Used on Peter Pettigrew's silver hand to prevent it from slowly choking himself, although it had no effect whatsoever.|
|Harry Potter||Used on the chains of a dragon during the trio's break-in of Gringotts, in order to facilitate their escape.|
|Used in 1995 during the second task of the Triwizard Tournament in order to free his ankle from the Grindylow's grip.|
- Mundungus Fletcher may have used this spell in 1996 outside the Three Broomsticks, when Harry, angered by Mundungus's plundering of Sirius Black's possessions, grabbed the former by the throat.
- Remus Lupin may have used this spell against Harry Potter in 1997 after Harry accused him of cowardice for deciding to abandon his family.
- Given its effects, it is possible that Relashio may also be able to act as a counter-spell for incarceration spells, Incarcerous and Incarcifors. Relashio may release a victim from the binding ropes conjured via Incarcerous, while it may also free a victim from the prison transfigured from other items using Incarcifors.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter used it underwater against the Grindylows during the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. The spell produced a flash along with a jet of boiling water in this setting.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Dolores Umbridge is seen using a spell to force a kissing couple away from each other. The spell used may have been a non-verbal form of the Revulsion Jinx.
- In the film version Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, it was Hermione Granger who used this jinx to free the dragon guarding the high-security vaults in Gringotts Banks during the 1998 Break-in of Gringotts Wizarding Bank.
- It is possible that Relashio may be related to Emancipare and Liberare, which are also etymologically derived from Latin for "set free". It is however hypothetical in the case of Emancipare, not only due to its conjectural nature, but that it is also similar to The Disarming Charm. It forces the target to drop what the target is holding. Relashio releases a targets grip, thus may disarm them.
Probably from the French verb relâcher meaning "to release, to set free", or Italian rilascio (pronounced the same way as the spell) meaning "I release".
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)