- "With this powerful curse, skilled wizards can easily reduce obstacles to pieces. For obvious reasons great care must be exercised when learning and practising this spell, lest you find yourself sweeping up in detention for it is all too easy to bring your classroom ceiling crashing down, or to reduce your teacher's desk to a fine mist."
- —Miranda Goshawk[src]
The Reductor Curse (Reducto) is a curse that can be used to blast solid objects into pieces. It is rather easy to reduce a target to a fine mist or a pile of ashes. Harry Potter taught this curse to Dumbledore's Army during the 1995-1996 school year.
- " Five different voices behind him bellowed, "REDUCTO!" Five curses flew in five different directions and the shelves opposite them exploded as they hit; the towering structure swayed as a hundred glass spheres burst apart, pearly-white figures unfurled into the air and floated there, their voices echoing from who knew what long-dead past amid the torrent of crashing glass and splintered wood now raining down upon the floor — "
- —D.A. members smashing the shelves in the Hall of Prophecy[src]
|Severus Snape||25 December, 1994||Snape used this on rosebushes at the Yule Ball after his talk with Karkaroff.|
|Harry Potter||June 1995||Harry learned this spell in 1995 in preparation for the third task of the Triwizard Tournament.|
|24 June, 1995||He used it in the hedge maze to try and disperse the Limbo mist that was placed there as an obstacle.|
|He used it again when he need to blast away a bush to get through and save Cedric from Victor, who was under the Imperius Curse.|
|Parvati Patil||Fall 1995||Parvati used this curse during a D.A. to reduce a table to rubble.|
|Harry Potter||18 June, 1996|
|Order of the Phoenix member||
Used to try and get past the Cursed Barrier in The Battle of the Astronomy Tower, the night Albus Dumbledore died
The incantation "reducto" is Latin for "reduce" or "bring down"
Behind the scenes
In the film version of The Order of the Phoenix, only Ginny casts the Reductor Curse to smash the shelves in the Hall of Prophecy, instead of every D.A. member present.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS version only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Dimensions
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this video for confirmation)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 35 (Beyond the Veil)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 19 (The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball)