Blasts objects into pieces
- "...he tried the Reductor Curse again. It wasn’t very effective, but it burned a small hole in the hedge..."
- —Harry using the spell during the Third Task.[src]
The Reductor Curse is a spell used to blast solid objects into pieces. The incantation for this spell is Reducto. The number of pieces may vary, depending on the power of the curse. If used with extreme force, the object may disintegrate.
- Severus Snape may have used this spell nonverbally on rose bushes during the Yule Ball in 1994.
- Harry Potter attempted to use this spell on a cloud of golden mist in the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament. The spell had no effect.
- In meetings of Dumbledore's Army, Parvati Patil and Ginny Weasley produced Reductor Curses so powerful that they disintegrated a table and Death Eater duelling simulacrum/dummy respectively.
- Harry, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood all used this spell to break shelves in the Hall of Prophecies in an attempt to distract the Death Eaters during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.
- Later in the battle, Luna used the spell again to blow up a model of the planet Pluto while defending herself, a cursed Ron, and Ginny from the Death Eaters, but accidentally broke Ginny's ankle in the process.
- A member of the Order of the Phoenix tried to blast the door of the Astronomy Tower open with the Reductor Curse when Death Eaters had cornered Albus Dumbledore there.
- Harry Potter used this spell in a failed attempt to destroy Salazar Slytherin's Locket.
- Reducto may come from the English verb reduce, "to bring down, destroy".
Behind the scenes
- Molly Weasley may have used this spell to blast Bellatrix Lestrange to pieces during their duel in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- In both of the LEGO Harry Potter games, the Reductor Curse is used to destroy Metal LEGO Pieces and, in the latter and only if the character possesses the Elder Wand, Gold LEGO Pieces.
- The fifth film gives the appearance that Ginny Weasley can cast a more powerful Reductor Curse than most of the others; in the book, this was the Patil twins that could do so.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references