|Height of average adult||
Bludgeons unwary to death
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
The Red Cap is a small, dwarf-like creature that lives where blood had been shed, such as in the dungeons of castles, the potholes of old battlefields, or simply in holes underground. They attack those who have gotten lost, and though they are extremely dangerous to lone Muggles, a wizard can repel them with charms and hexes. Red Caps are normally around three or four feet tall, with red eyes and long, sharp nails. They are notable in the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (including the Forbidden Forest) and the Forest of Dean. Remus Lupin taught his third year Defence Against the Dark Arts class about these creatures during the second lesson of the 1993-1994 school year, and later used them as part of his obstacle course during the final exam of that year. Among the subjects covered in The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection are Red Caps.
Behind the scenes
- The Red Cap is a real mythological creature; supposedly, it will murder any traveler who strays into its home, dying its hat with their blood, for which they get their name.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, they appear to have beards, Voldemort faces, and a mushroom on their head rather than a cap.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA and Nintendo DS versions only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (NDS and iPhone versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)