The Red Cap is a small, dwarf-like creature that lives where blood had been shed, such as in the dungeons of castles, the potholes of old battlefields, or simply in holes underground. They attack those who have gotten lost, and though they are extremely dangerous to lone Muggles, a wizard can repel them with charms and hexes. They can also be repelled by dousing them in Beautification Potion, as their temporary "beautiful" appearance is repulsive to them. Red Caps are normally around three or four feet tall, with red eyes and long, sharp nails. They are notable in the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (including the Forbidden Forest) and the Forest of Dean.
Red Caps are less dangerous during their mating season, as they become more interested in attacking each other than any invaders of their territory.
The enchanted garden that the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship takes place in houses an ancient battlefield infested with Red Caps, which competitors must evade or defeat in order to pass through.
Remus Lupin taught his third year Defence Against the Dark Arts class about these creatures during the second lesson of the 1993-1994 school year, and later used them as part of his obstacle course during the final exam of that year. Among the subjects covered in The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection are Red Caps.
Behind the scenes
- The Red Cap is a real mythological creature; supposedly, it will murder any traveller who strays into its home, dying its hat with their blood, for which they get their name.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, they appear to have beards, Voldemort faces, and a mushroom on their head rather than a cap.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA and Nintendo DS versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS version only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (NDS and iPhone versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
Notes and references