- "The Dark Lord will rise again, Crouch! Throw us into Azkaban; we will wait! He will rise again and will come for us, he will reward us beyond any of his other supporters! We alone were faithful! We alone tried to find him!"
- —Bellatrix Lestrange declaring the loyalty of her, Rodolphus and her brother-in-law Rabastan to the Dark Lord[src]
He was a Death Eater who fought in the First Wizarding War. The Lestranges were among Lord Voldemort's most loyal and trusted servants, the only ones who searched for him after his first downfall. After Voldemort's first downfall, Rabastan, Rodolphus, his wife Bellatrix and Barty Crouch Jr participated in the torture and permanent incapacitation of Alice and Frank Longbottom and were sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban. Rabastan later escaped with a group of Death Eaters and fought in several battles of the Second Wizarding War, including the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, and possibly the Battle of Hogwarts.
After Lord Voldemort's final defeat, Rabastan was presumably killed or imprisoned in Azkaban once more.
Rabastan possibly attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Slytherin house, like his brother Rodolphus. It is possible that he didn't attend Hogwarts at the same time as Rodolphus, as he was not mentioned among a small group of Slytherins and future Death Eaters, as Rodolphus and Bellatrix were.
First Wizarding War
Soon after the conflict ended in late 1981, Rabastan was put on trial with his brother Rodolphus, sister-in-law Bellatrix, and Barty Crouch Jr for being a Death Eater and for participating in the torture of Alice and Frank Longbottom. They were all sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban.
Second Wizarding War
Battle of the Department of Mysteries
He later participated in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. He went with fellow Death Eater Crabbe Snr to try and find Harry, Hermione, and Neville. Crabbe was incapacitated by Harry and Rabastan attempted to kill Hermione when Harry stopped him by tripping him. Neville then disarmed him with a Disarming Charm and when Rabastan reclaimed his wand he was Stunned by Hermione. His head fell in a bell jar filled with some sort of time wind that transformed his head back into a baby's, continually ageing and de-aging. He was presumably returned to Azkaban afterwards, though he was at large once again by late 1997 after another Azkaban break-out.
It is unknown what happened to Rabastan after Voldemort's death. He was either killed or imprisoned again in Azkaban.
Rabastan is described as a quite thin man. It is unknown if Azkaban took a toll on his appearance. As a Death Eater, he bears the Dark Mark on his left inner forearm, which has faded to a mere scar upon Voldemort's death.
Personality and traits
Rabastan was a very loyal Death Eater, willing to use the Dark Arts to commit atrocities for the sake of his master. He was not as brave or as calm as his brother as he is described as "nervous-looking" during his trial in 1981 with his eyes "darting around the crowd".
Magical abilities and skills
- Dark Arts: Rabastan could cast the Cruciatus Curse (which takes ability and a powerful bit of magic to perform) to a devastating effect on Frank and Alice Longbottom.
- Martial magic: Rabastan participated in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. He likely participated in the Battle of the Seven Potters and helped his brother duel Nymphadora Tonks. If Rabastan fought in the Battle of Hogwarts he most likely fled when the reinforcements arrived or was overwhelmed by them.
- The name Rabastan may be a play on Rastaban, the traditional name of one of the stars of the constellation Draco. It is derived from an Arabic phrase "Rās al-Thu`bān (رأس الثعبان)" meaning "head of the serpent"; the snake is a symbol strongly connected with Lord Voldemort and Slytherin. The star is also known as Alwaid, meaning "who is to be destroyed" in Arabic.
Behind the scenes
- During the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, Rabastan was paired with fellow Death Eater Crabbe during the pursuit of the Dumbledore's Army members. He and Crabbe pursued Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Neville Longbottom into the Time Chamber. It is unknown whether Rabastan was the Death Eater whom Harry stunned, or the one whom Hermione knocked into a bell jar, causing the head to continuously age and de-age. It is likely to be the former, as Rabastan is said to be thin while the baby-headed Death Eater's arms are said to be thick, and Rabastan likely would have been recognised and referred to by name in the book (as Dolohov was) if it was he who took his mask off.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Rabastan Lestrange)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Masked) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Masked)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance)
- Pottermore (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ Both Rabastan and his brother Rodolphus were of-age (17) by the end of the First Wizarding War in 1981, since they were tried on charges of capture and torture of Frank and Alice Longbottom, with no apparent aggravation for the use of underage magic.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ See Forum:Baby-Death Eater.
Alecto Carrow | Amycus Carrow | Antonin Dolohov | Augustus Rookwood | Avery (I) | Avery (II) |
Barty Crouch Jr. | Bellatrix Lestrange | Cedric Diggory (third revised timeline) | Crabbe | Evan Rosier | Gibbon | Goyle |
Jugson | Lestrange | Mulciber (I) | Mulciber (II) | Nott | Pyrites (possibly) | Rabastan Lestrange | Rodolphus Lestrange | Rosier | Selwyn | Thorfinn Rowle | Travers | Walden Macnair | Wilkes | Corban Yaxley
|Death Eaters who Defected:|
|Death Eaters' allies:|
Albert Runcorn | Blaise Zabini (movie only) | Borgin | Delphini | Dolores Umbridge | Fenrir Greyback | Golgomath |
Gregory Goyle | John Dawlish | Mafalda Hopkirk | Narcissa Malfoy (defected) | Pansy Parkinson | Quirinus Quirrell | Scabior | Vincent Crabbe
Dementors | Draco Malfoy's gang | Giants (Golgomath's control) | Muggle-Born Registration Commission | Snatchers | Werewolves