A Captain, or Quidditch Captain, is an additional position in the wizarding sport of Quidditch. The Captain of a Quidditch team may call for "time-out" during a match, and end a match should Captains of both playing teams give mutual consent.
National Quidditch Captains
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
|America||Maximus Brankovitch III||1986-1990||Seeker|
|Germany||Katrina von Glockenspieler||1994||Beater|
Regional Quidditch Captains
- Heidelberg Harriers
- Holyhead Harpies
- Montrose Magpies
- Pride of Portree
- Tarapoto Tree-Skimmers
- Tutshill Tornados
Hogwarts Quidditch Captains
Quidditch Captains at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is a student and member of a House Quidditch team who is appointed to be in charge of his or her House team. Heads of House appoint one member of their House Quidditch team to be the captain. The student would presumably continue to be captain until he or she graduates, barring severe injury or misconduct. Only one Quidditch Captain exists in a House at a time.
Unlike prefects being firmly chosen from only the fifth year students and above of each house, the exact requirement and restriction for choosing team captains is unknown, seeing as captains of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, Oliver Wood was appointed in either his fourth year or fifth year, Angelina Johnson in her seventh year, and Harry Potter in his sixth year, thus an age requirement might not have existed. It is however proven that Quidditch captaincy is not a simple matter of seniority on the team, as shown in the case of Harry Potter being made captain, while a member of his team, Katie Bell, was a year older than him.
Captains are required to hold Quidditch trials, plan training sessions and organise their House teams, and are also responsible for almost anything regarding their House team activities and members.
Captains are also given status equal to that of prefect, and are allowed to use the Prefects' Bathroom. However, unlike prefects, captains are not allowed to dock points. Captains are generally responsible for their Quidditch teams and related duties only.
Captains will also play one other position on their team: Beater, Chaser, Keeper or Seeker. When a Quidditch team member is appointed captain, they will retain their previous position as well as assuming their captain responsibilities.
Like prefects, captains are given a silver badge to wear on their school uniform, and on their Quidditch robes when they are playing in a match or practising. However, a prefect on the Quidditch team would not be required to wear his or her prefect badge on his or her Quidditch robes. The captain's badge is suspected to have the letter 'C' on it for 'Captain', as the prefect's badge has 'P' for 'prefect', and the Head Boy's and Head Girl's have 'HB' and 'HG' respectively.
|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
- Astrix Alixan (1688-1692)
- Filemina Alchin (1692–1696)
- Angelina Appleby (1696–1700)
- Oona Ballington (1700–1704)
- Concepta Battista (1704–1708)
- Betty Bickering (1708–1712)
- Hugh Biggs (1712–1716)
- Mike Boon (1716–1720)
- Jason Charmer (1720–1724)
- Sophia Prickett (1724–?)
- David Hamblin (unknown)
- Natalie Holkham (unknown)
- Stephen Gould (unknown)
- Ashley Sanders (unknown)
- Hamish Frater (unknown)
- Richard Carter (unknown)
|1948-1952||Andrew Snowy Owl|
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 6 (Changes in Quidditch since the Fourteenth Century) - Rule #2.
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 6 (Changes in Quidditch since the Fourteenth Century) - Rule #7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 7 (Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Castelobruxo" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 11 (Quidditch) - "“We know Oliver’s speech by heart,” Fred told Harry, “we were on the team last year.” This implies that Oliver was captain in the previous year, 1990, as he was giving the same speech.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6 (The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters) - "Bill was head boy and Charlie was captain of Quidditch." As Charlie's last year at Hogwarts was 1990-1991 it's likely that he would be Quidditch Captain his final year with Oliver becoming captain the next year, 1991.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Nearly Headless Nick"