1994 or earlier
To record and exaggerate spoken words
A Quick-Quotes Quill is a magical quill that writes automatically as the subject speaks. However, the quill does not record verbatim what the subject says. Instead, it takes a subject's words and creates sensational and inaccurate tales that bear little resemblance to actual events. It is capable of writing on its own when dictated to, although what is written is often highly embellished.
These quills are similar to Self-Writing Quills.
- Rita Skeeter uses a long, acid green one when interviewing people for the Daily Prophet. Whatever its origins may be, Rita Skeeter knows that not everyone approves of its use, as she hurriedly hides it from Albus Dumbledore. To use it, Skeeter sucks on the end and places it upright on parchment. In 1997, Rita Skeeter mentions in her interview concerning Dumbledore's posthumous biography that the Quick-Quotes Quill helped her to write the book so quickly after his death.
Behind the scenes
- "Attractive blonde Rita Skeeter, forty-three, whose savage quill has punctured many inflated reputations…"
- —Quick-Quotes Quill transcription[src]
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rita Skeeter has an acid green-coloured quill that floats rather characteristically beside her writing on a notebook as Rita interviews Harry in an old broom cupboard. It also seems to be some kind of sentient, as Rita talks to it and it's writing-head points at Harry at one point, like it had eyes.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells Quick-Quote Quill replicas.
- It appears on the cover of the book The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore in the first film adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but it does not appear to be cared for, like in the Goblet of Fire film.
- In the novel Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows there is a wizard who is murmuring to a quill beside him that writes on it's own. This is possibly a Quick-Quotes Quill or a Self-Writing Quill.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Seen on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Seen on book cover)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter