A Quick-Quotes Quill was a magical quill that wrote automatically as the subject spoke. However, the quill did not record verbatim what the subject said, but rather took a subject's words and created sensational and inaccurate tales that bore little resemblance to actual events.
These quills are similar to Self-Writing Quills.
Rita Skeeter uses a long, acid green Quick-Quotes Quill when interviewing people for the Daily Prophet. To use it, Skeeter sucks on the end and places it upright on parchment. Whatever its origins may be, Rita Skeeter knows that not everyone approves of its use, as she hurriedly hides it from Albus Dumbledore. In 1997, Rita Skeeter mentions in her interview concerning Dumbledore's posthumous biography that the Quick-Quotes Quill helped her to write the book so quickly after his death. She also used it to report on the 2014 Quidditch World Cup final.
Behind the scenes
- "Attractive blonde Rita Skeeter, forty-three, whose savage quill has punctured many inflated reputations…"
- —Quick-Quotes Quill transcription[src]
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rita Skeeter has an acid green-coloured pheasant quill that floats rather characteristically beside her writing on a notebook as Rita interviews Harry in an old broom cupboard. It also seems to be some kind of sentient, as Rita talks to it and it's writing-head points at Harry at one point, like it had eyes.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells Quick-Quote Quill replicas.
- It appears on the cover of the book The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore in the first film adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but it does not appear to be cared for, like in the Goblet of Fire film.
- In the novel Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there is a wizard who is murmuring to a quill beside him that writes on its own. This is possibly a Quick-Quotes Quill or a Self-Writing Quill.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Seen on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Seen on book cover)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 24 (Rita Skeeter's Scoop)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 2 (In Memoriam)
- ↑ 2014 Quidditch World Cup final (Archived from Pottermore)