Daphne Greengrass (b. 1980) was a pure-blood witch. She began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991, the same year as Harry Potter, and was sorted into Slytherin house. During her school years, she was part of Pansy Parkinson's "gang" of Slytherin girls, and shared a dormitory in Slytherin Dungeon with Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Tracey Davis and a girl with glasses. She took her O.W.L.s in 1996 at the same time as Hermione Granger. She has a younger sister, Astoria Greengrass, who eventually married Draco Malfoy. She has a nephew, Scorpius by this marriage.
The name Daphne means "Laurel" in Greek. It is derived from the nymph Daphne in Greek mythology, who was pursued by the god Apollo. She prayed to her father, the river god Peneus, to change her body in order to escape the love-struck Apollo and Peneus then transformed her into the laurel tree, which Apollo then claimed as one of his sacred symbols. In Ancient Greece, a wreath of laurels was given as a prize and considered a symbol of prosperity, fame and victory. 
Behind the scenes
- Based on a list of students revealed by J.K. Rowling in Harry Potter and Me, Daphne's first name may have originally been "Queenie."
Notes and references
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ Daphne's nephew, Scorpius, was described as pure-blood by Ron Weasley in the Epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, indicating that Daphne and her sister Astoria were born into a pure-blood family.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 TIME magazine - JK Rowling answers 10 questions about Harry
- ↑ Bay Laurel on Wikipedia
- ↑ http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Daphne_and_Apollo