A Pygmy Puff is a miniature Puffskein, bred in the back of Fred and George Weasley's shop Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes at 93 Diagon Alley in London, and sold there as one of the known products in the WonderWitch range. It is one of their most popular products, as George said they were having trouble breeding them fast enough for the demand. Ginny Weasley bought a purple Pygmy Puff named Arnold in 1996, which she frequently played with at Hogwarts.
Pygmy Puffs resemble little fluffy balls that roll around, squeak and come in various shades of pink and purple. Luna Lovegood believed that all Pygmy Puffs sing on Boxing Day. A group of Puffskeins or Pygmy Puffs is called a poffle.
Behind the scenes
- Pygmy Puffs would appear to be violations of the Ban on Experimental Breeding. However, as they are merely miniature Puffskeins, this may not count as an offence as Fred and George Weasley may have attained a special licence to breed them.
- Pink and purple Pygmy Puffs plush and key chains are available for purchase at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Zonko's shop (there’s the naming ceremony, a mini-show that accompanies purchasing a pygmy puff plush, in which a shopkeeper will ring a bell and announce that you have adopted one and sometimes, the name you have chosen for yours) and on the Official Online Merchandise Store of the park. The plush measure six inches (15.25 cm) in diameter (that seems to be a pretty big diameter considering that Arnold in the books can ride Ginny's shoulders and that a nest of dead puffskeins, which are the original species of pygmy puffs,and therefore are considerably larger, has been found under a sofa where there is not a lot of space). The key chains diameter (approximately 2 inches) is smaller and seems more appropriate. Some Pygmy Puff plush are in pink cages, exactly like in the movie.
- A Pygmy Puff shirt is also available in the theme park at Zonko's Joke Shop. The shirt inscription: "Mini Puffskeins - Pygmy Puffs - Peacefully Pet the Puffs", is the same inscription we can see on the pygmy puff cage's label in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) during the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes shop scene.
- Despite the blanket ban on the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes products on Hogwarts, Ginny somehow managed to bring Arnold with her into Hogwarts. This may be because the Pygmy Puffs are not joke items and that the ban Argus Filch placed on Weasley's Wizard Wheezes may only affect their joke products.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Mobile version only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault