- Fred: "And what's happened to your eye, Hermione?"
- Hermione: "Your punching telescope."
- Fred: "Oh, blimey, I forgot about those. Here... Just dab it on, that bruise'll be gone within the hour. We had to find a decent bruise remover. We're testing most of our products on ourselves."
- — Fred Weasley and Hermione Granger[src]
Boxing telescopes are joke products manufactured by Fred and George Weasley in 1996 for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. It was kept in their old bedroom, but Hermione Granger went rummaging in their boxes and accidentally activated it. It gave her a black eye that Molly Weasley was unable to remove.
When Hermione, Harry Potter, and the Weasleys went to Diagon Alley shortly afterwards, Draco Malfoy noticed Hermione's black eye and said he wanted to buy flowers for whoever did it. The group then went to the twins' joke shop, where Fred gave Hermione a thick yellow paste, which removed the bruise within an hour.
When it is squeezed, a tiny fist on a spring erupts from its end and lands a punch, accompanied by a puff of black smoke and a loud bang. The purple bruise caused by the telescope does not fade by itself, and cannot be healed with standard remedies such as can be found in The Healer's Helpmate. The only known means to remove is another Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes product, Bruise removal paste.
Behind the scenes
- On the DVD 2nd-disc special feature of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Oliver Phelps demonstrate how to function this boxing telescope. Tom Felton also tried it and almost punched himself in the face, he commented "that was millimetres away".
- At The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you can purchase boxing telescopes.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appeared on DVD 2nd-disc Special Feature)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter