- George Weasley: "They're double-ended, colour-coded chews. If you eat the orange half of the Puking Pastilles, you throw up. Moment you've been rushed out of the lesson for the hospital wing, you swallow the purple half -"
- Fred Weasley: "- which restores you to full fitness, enabling you to pursue the leisure activity of your own choice during an hour that would otherwise have been devoted to unprofitable boredom."
- — Fred and George Weasley describe the purpose of the Puking Pastilles[src]
Puking Pastilles are a type of sweet made by Fred and George Weasley to help students skive off lessons thanks to their Skiving Snackbox. Puking Pastilles make the eater vomit within seconds of eating it. The orange ends are to make the eater vomit and the purple ones to stop them.
In the 1995–1996 school year, while the twins were still at school, this is one of the many Skiving Snackbox sweet variety they have sold and tested on students, and they were used to allow students to skip classes, but mainly as part of the Umbridge-itis disease to annoy the tyrannical Dolores Umbridge.
In 1997, Hermione Granger gave a Puking Pastille to Reginald Cattermole as part of her, Harry Potter, and Ron Weasley's plan to infiltrate the Ministry of Magic. When Reginald began to vomit, Hermione took some of his hair, which was then used in Polyjuice Potion so that Ron could take on his appearance.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Ron, Neville, Ginny and Luna escape from the Inquisitorial Squad when Ron tricked them into eating the sweets to make them sick, whereas in the novel, the D.A. members escape using a variety of jinxes and hexes.
- Instead of orange and purple, like they are described in the novels, the film adaptations depict the Puking Pastilles purple and green.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter