Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prohibition was a period during the early 20th century when the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcoholic beverages was illegal in the United States. The Muggle government of the United States enforced prohibition from 1920 to 1933 on a federal level (although some states enforced their own prohibition laws for longer). However, even though it was illegal, the manufacture, trade, and consumption of alcohol did not stop, with scores of clandestine bars called speakeasies springing up throughout the country.
The wizarding government of the United States did not enforce prohibition at the same time (President Seraphina Picquery being of the opinion that "Gigglewater is non-negotiable"), even though wizarding speakeasies were operated, presumably to avoid the suspicions of No-Majs. In 1926, there was at least one magical speakeasy in New York, The Blind Pig, which was located in Manhattan and run by the goblin gangster Gnarlack.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Prohibition in the United States" on Wikipedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Everything we've learned about ‘Fantastic Beasts' this week" from Pottermore
- ↑ "History of Magic in North America: 1920s Wizarding America" on Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Ron Perlman talks 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Fantastic Beasts' at RI Comic Con" from The Telegram
- ↑ The Blind Pig on Google Maps
- ↑ "Announcement Trailer for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to Be Unveiled Worldwide on December 15th" from Business Wire
- ↑ "‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’: 43 Things to Know about the New Wizarding World Story" from Collider