It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
Potions (Latin potio, 'beverage') are magical mixtures commonly brewed in cauldrons and used to create various effects on the drinker. A wizard or witch who specialises in potion brewing is known as a potioneer.
Potions are brewed from ingredients with magical properties. Potions can be used as medicine, lethal poison, or give the drinker any effect from strength enhancement to immunity to flames. Potions are not necessarily used by drinking, as some can be applied by physical contact or create an effect simply by being created, such as the Regeneration Potion. According to former Hogwarts Potions master, Professor Severus Snape, potions can "bewitch the mind, ensnare the senses and even put a stopper in death."
Supplies used in Potion MakingEdit
- Silver, brass, copper or pewter Cauldron
- Glass or crystal phials
- Silver Knife
- Mortar and pestle
- Various ingredients for specific potions
- A wand
Texts on PotionsEdit
- One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
- Moste Potente Potions
- Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
- Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage
Behind the scenesEdit
- Brewing potions is an activity that can be performed on Pottermore to earn House points.
- J. K. Rowling has noted that - even if they were to follow the instructions exactly and had all the ingredients - a Muggle could not brew a potion because there is always the need to channel magic at some point, at some stage one would have to use a wand. In Pottermore, this is seen as the final step of brewing a Potion is always to wave the wand.
- An advertisement can be seen in the Quibbler about potion-making called Ancient Potion Maker.
- There exists a Potions Association that oversees the labeling of certain potions, and possibly other aspects.
- In 1996, a business called Potions Lady that specialised in making potions for women placed an ad in the Daily Prophet.
- Potions must be brewed carefully to achieve the proper effects. In certain cases, those are brewed incorrectly or in a dirty cauldron can become poisons.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7