- "For a moment the kettle trembled, glowing with an odd blue light; then it quivered to rest, as solidly black as ever."
Portus is the incantation to a charm used to transform an ordinary object into a Portkey. Since creating Portkeys are restricted by the Ministry of Magic, the usage of this spell also requires permission. This was the subject of a question of the Theory of Charms O.W.L. in 1996
Immediately after casting, the target will glow bright blue, as the Portkey does when it is ready, but after a few seconds it will return to its normal colour.
Portus may comes from the latin word "portandum" which means to carry, from French "porter" or Spanish and Catalan "portar" (that have the same meaning).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Portus)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)