|Portrait of a mermaid|
A portrait of a mermaid was located in the Prefects' bathroom in Hogwarts Castle. The portrait was set in a golden frame, and was noted to show off to people using the bathroom if she was awake. Myrtle did not seem to like this portrait much.
Sometime after 24 November, 1994, Cedric Diggory took his golden egg to the Prefects' bathroom to think it over. This portrait showed off for him as he thought, and it was partially due to its existence that he realised merpeople would be involved in the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament.
On Diggory's suggestion, Harry Potter came to the bathroom later in the school year for the same reason. Despite the mermaid being asleep during his visit, it still helped him in coming to the same conclusion Diggory did.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, this is a stained-glass window instead of a portrait.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 she gets angry at Harry because he spilled all her water from the stained-glass window and throws scorpions at him. If you refill the portrait she gives you the missing part of the sink.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4