Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
People in the wizarding world are seen wearing pocket watches. The reason for which maybe that the objects used by wizards and witches (as quills, oil lamps, candles, ect.) are not as modern as objects used by Muggles. Pocket watches are one of which, which have not been as widely used as the pre-WWI era. Also, in the wizarding world, one is given a watch when they turn of age. Dumbledore, for instance, would have turned 17 when pocket watches were still in style. There is a Transfiguration spell capable of turning a human into a pocket watch. Known wizards and witches to own pocket watches include:
- Dedalus Diggle, who owned a fairly large one that shouted at him to "Hurry up" when he was late.
- Rubeus Hagrid, whose small gold one was greatly dwarfed in his trash-bin-lid-sized hand.
- Albus Dumbledore, whose had twelve hands, with twelve planets instead of numbers.
- Horace Slughorn, who wears a silver watch on a double-albert chain.
- Sirius Black, who wears a silver one on a double-albert as well. He wears this on a waistcoat, after he moves into 12 Grimmauld Place. It is unknown if it was with his other possessions there, but as he probably was given it when he came of age, it is likely.
- Barty Crouch Jr, who wears a gold pocket watch on a single-albert, prior to his sentence in Azkaban.
- Fabian Prewett, who wears one that was dented on the back over the years. It was given to Harry Potter.
- Yaxley, who wears a golden pocketwatch.
- Ronald Weasley, who wears something like Harry's.
- Mundungus Fletcher, who wears a silver one on a waistcoat.
Behind the scenes
- It is not specified what type of watch Harry Potter was given when he turned of age. However, due to the fact that it was dented on the back, it was probably indeed a pocket watch, as the back of a wristwatch is against the wrist when in use. In this case, Ron Weasley also has a pocket watch, as Harry's was "like what Ron got."
- In the film adaptations of Prisoner of Azkaban, and Goblet of Fire, Hermione Granger, in some scenes, is shown wearing a black wristwatch on her right arm. Why she chose this over a pocket watch is unknown.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Cedric Diggory, in some scenes, is shown wearing a brown wristwatch, on his left arm during the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament, and on his right arm when he and Harry Potter are transported to the Little Hangleton Graveyard mere moments before he is murdered by Peter Pettigrew on Lord Voldemort's orders.
- On J.K. Rowling's site, Dumbledore's watch has bright blue lightning like crackles, the face glows turquoise blue and emits a flash of white light.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game