|Platform Nine and Three-Quarters|
Platform Nine and Three-Quarters (Platform 9¾) is a platform at King's Cross Station in London. Magically concealed behind the barrier between Muggle Platform Nine and Platform Ten, this Platform is where Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students board the Hogwarts Express on 1 September, in order to attend school.
In order for someone to get onto Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, they must walk directly at the apparently solid metal ticket box dividing Platforms Nine and Ten. There is a guard stationed just outside the entrance, in order to regulate entries and exits from the platform.
Platform Nine and Three-Quarters was most likely created as a result of the Ministry of Magic operation, authorised by Minister Ottaline Gambol, in which Hogsmeade Station and the Hogwarts Express came to be. If this was the case, it was created in between 1936 and 1971.
On 1 September, 1971, Eileen Snape took her eleven-year-old son, Severus Snape, to board the Hogwarts Express via this Platform. Mr. and Mrs. Evans also took their daughter, Lily Evans, there along with her sister, Petunia. While Mr. and Mrs. Evans, both of them Muggles, looked around the platform with an air of wholehearted enjoyment, the two sisters argued and Petunia called her sister a freak.
Harry Potter first used Platform Nine and Three-Quarters on 1 September, 1991. Not knowing how to get into it, and recognising the Weasley family as a family of wizards, he asked Molly Weasley how to access it. As Harry crossed the Platform, he passed by a round-faced boy telling his grandmother he had lost his toad, and a boy with dreadlocks showing a tarantula to his peers. In June, 1992, on the end of the school year, Harry and his classmates returned to their homes via the Platform. Harry was picked up by Vernon Dursley.
On 1 September, 1992, Dobby blocked the magical barrier dividing Platforms Nine and Ten in order to prevent Harry Potter and Ron Weasley from attending school. Consequently, they decided the only way to get to Hogwarts was to steal Arthur Weasley's Flying Ford Anglia and fly it to the school. When the school year ended, the students returned to the Muggle world via the magical gateway in the platform.
In 1993, the Weasleys took Harry to the Platform again. Arthur Weasley hoped to talk to Harry about Sirius Black, but Harry had already overheard Arthur talking about it to his wife. Once the school year ended, Harry and his classmates returned to the Platform, where he told Vernon Dursley about his godfather, "a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run".
On 1 September of the following year, the Weasleys and Harry travelled to King's Cross Station via Muggle taxis. Once the Hogwarts Express arrived at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, Harry Potter gave his Triwizard earnings to Fred and George Weasley, before crossing the magical barrier, and being picked up by Vernon Dursley.
In 1995, the Weasleys, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody and Sirius Black (on his Animagus form) took Harry to King's Cross Station on foot, as they had been staying on 12 Grimmauld Place in the Borough of Islington. When Harry arrived at the station on the end of the school year, he was joined by Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, and Fred and George Weasley. The wizard group proceeded to threaten the Dursleys that if Harry was mistreated in any way, one of the Order of the Phoenix would be sent along.
Harry and the Weasleys returned to the Platform on 1 September, 1996, where they were joined by two grim-faced, bearded Aurors in dark Muggle suits for Harry's protection. On the platform, Harry had a quick word with Arthur Weasley about his suspicions that Draco Malfoy was now a Death Eater.
On 1 September, 2017, Harry Potter took his sons, Albus and James, to King's Cross along with his wife Ginny and their youngest daughter Lily. Ron and Hermione Weasley also did so, as did Draco and Astoria Malfoy.
Behind the scenes
- In the books, the barrier that leads to the platform is described as being made of metal. In the films, however, the barrier is a brick wall.
- In Kings Cross Station the real platform nine and three quarters memorial site is near the entrance of the station building, not anywhere near the platforms and trains.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in vision(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Appears in vision(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 6 (The Journey From Platform Nine and Three-Quarters)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 17 (The Man With Two Faces)
- ↑ As the Hogwarts Express was built in 1936 (vid. "The Hogwarts Express" on Youtube), the Ministry operation must have taken place in or after that year.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 33 (The Prince's Tale)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 5 (The Whomping Willow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 18 (The Dobby's Reward)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 5 (The Dementor)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 22 (Owl Post Again)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 11 (Aboard the Hogwarts Express)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 37 (The Beginning)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 10 (Luna Lovegood)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 38 (The Second War Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)