- "I've got to keep him up here because he annoys Errol and Hermes. He annoys me too, come to that."
- —Ron Weasley regarding Pig's hyper personality[src]
Pigwidgeon (fl. 1994 – 1997), also known as Pig, was Ron Weasley's first pet owl. He was a miniature scops owl. Pig was responsible for the handling of Ron's mail starting in 1994, he was a gift from Sirius Black after the loss of Ron's pet rat.
- "Harry stared at the word "Pig," and looked up at the tiny owl now fluttering around the light fixture on the ceiling. He had never seen anything that looked less like a pig."
- —Description of 'Pig'[src]
Pigwidgeon was named by Ginny Weasley, because she thought the name was cute. Though Ron tried to change it, the owl would not answer to another name. Though he acted very rude to Pigwidgeon in public, Ron Weasley was actually very attached to Pig, since this was his first owl.
Pigwidgeon means "small" or "petty" and also can be spelled pigwidgin or pigwiggin. It combines "pig" with "widgeon," two species of duck found in North America and Europe, or "pidgeon", another name for the rock dove. English author and poet Michael Drayton (1563-1631) had a male fairy named Pigwiggen in his comical poem "Nimphidia."
Behind the scenes
- J.K. Rowling has said on her website that Pigwidgeon is a scops owl. These owls are tiny grey owls with little tufts of feathers on their heads. This makes sense as Pigwidgeon is said to fit in a person's fist. Scops owls live in open country with isolated trees and lightly wooded areas containing clusters of trees. They may also be found in run-down buildings, caves, bush-lands, and park-like habitat.
- Pigwidgeon isn't actually featured in the films but appears with Ron in a promotional still photo for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and appears briefly in the background while Harry, Ron and Hermione are talking at the Burrow in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- A small african white-faced owl called Mars plays Pigwidgeon in the promotional still for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and in the film Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault says that Pigwidgeon was a present from Ron's family, while he was actually a present from Sirius Black.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First identified as Pigwidgeon)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Promotional still)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault