|Also known as||
Ron Weasley (owner)
- "I've got to keep him up here because he annoys Errol and Hermes. He annoys me too, come to that."
- —Ron Weasley[src]
- "Harry stared at the word "Pig," and looked up at the tiny owl now fluttering around the light fixture on the ceiling. He had never seen anything that looked less like a pig."
- —Description of 'Pig'[src]
Pigwidgeon was described by Harry as resembling a "fluffy snitch." He was usually excited for a job to deliver letters, even though most of the time they were usually heavy for him, and was occasionally known to hang around the stairways performing for students (prompting Ron to call him a "stupid little feathery git" for his attempts to show off rather than promptly bringing Ron the letters). He also delivered food to Sirius when he was hiding in a cave in Hogsmeade, though not without the help of Hogwarts owls, as the food was quite heavy.
Pigwidgeon was named by Ginny Weasley, Ron's sister, because she thought the name was cute. Though Ron tried to change it, the owl would not answer to another name. Though he acted very rude to Pigwidgeon in public, Ron Weasley was actually very attached to Pig, since this was his first owl.
Pigwidgeon means "small" or "petty" and also can be spelled pigwidgin or pigwiggin. It combines "pig" with "widgeon," two species of duck found in North America and Europe. English author and poet Michael Drayton (1563-1631) had a male fairy named Pigwiggen in his comical poem "Nimphidia."
Behind the scenes
- J.K. Rowling has said on her website that Pigwidgeon is a scops owl. These owls are tiny grey owls with little tufts of feathers on their heads. This makes sense as Pigwidgeon is said to fit in a person's fist. Scops owls live in open country with isolated trees and lightly wooded areas containing clusters of trees. They may also be found in run-down buildings, caves, bush-lands, and park-like habitat.
- Pigwidgeon isn't actually in the films but appears with Ron in a promotional still photo for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and appears briefly in the background while Harry, Ron and Hermione are talking at the Burrow in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Promotional still)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7