Mrs. Polkiss (mother)
Piers Polkiss was a Muggle and Dudley Dursley's best friend. Despite being scrawny with a face like a rat, he was a member of Dudley Dursley's gang and was usually the one who held people's arms behind their backs so Dudley could hit them. Piers did not like Harry Potter, because Dudley did not, and he always followed Dudley's lead. Piers would also join Dudley at Smeltings Academy.
On Dudley's eleventh birthday in 1991, Piers accompanied him, the Dursleys and Harry to the zoo. During the trip, Piers saw Harry talking to a snake in the reptile house. When Harry was pushed out of the way, and then unintentionally made the glass disappear, Piers fell into the enclosure with Dudley. When Piers told the Dursleys that Harry had been talking to the snake, they gave Harry his longest ever punishment.
- "We're getting out of here, Dudley. Come on, Dudley, hurry up."
Piers is of Anglo-Saxon heritage and means "rock." It is a variant of Peter, from the Greek for "rock." Polkiss may be a variation of Polk, which itself is a variation of the Scottish names Pogue, Pollack, or Pollock, meaning "from the pool or pit."
Behind the scenes
- Piers Polkiss was portrayed by Jason Boyd in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- Piers Polkiss was not mentioned nor did he appear in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- Piers Polkiss has not appeared in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.
- It is mentioned several times in the books that all the members of Dudley's gang were big and stupid, but Piers was always described as being scrawny with a face like a rat. It is possible that Piers was scrawny when compared to the other members.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game