- Albus Dumbledore: "Are you really telling me that [the Death Eaters] haven't come recruiting yet?"
- Horace Slughorn: "I haven't given them the chance. I've been on the move for a year. Never stay in one place more than a week. Move from Muggle house to Muggle house — the owners of this place are on holiday in the Canary Islands — it's been very pleasant, I'll be sorry to leave. It's quite easy once you know how, one simple Freezing Charm on these absurd burglar alarms they use instead of Sneakoscopes and make sure the neighbours don't spot you bringing in the piano."
- — Albus Dumbledore and Horace Slughorn discuss the latter moving from Muggle house to Muggle house.[src]
The piano is a musical instrument played by means of a keyboard. It is most likely in the percussion family and it is one of the most popular instruments in the world. Widely used in classical music for solo performances, ensemble use, chamber musicand accompaniment, the piano is also very popular as an aid to composing and rehearsal. Although not portable and often expensive, the piano's versatility and ubiquity have made it one of the world's most familiar musical instruments. C. J. Gebauhr was a known piano maker in the nineteenth century.
There was an old rusty-sounding piano in the Shrieking Shack.
The music players used a piano at Hogwarts during the Yule Ball.
There was also a grand piano at 12 Grimmauld Place, under the possession of the House of Black and, in the late 1990s, of Harry Potter. Shortly after the Fall of the Ministry of Magic in 1997, Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter hid at 12 Grimmauld Place. While in there Hermione tried to teach Ron how to play Für Elise, however he did not play well.
Horace Slughorn also kept a piano, which, according to him, was the hardest thing to conceal from the neighbours when he moved from Muggle house to Muggle house in the 1990s. When Harry and Dumbledore first arrived at the Muggle house, the piano was on its side with its keys strewn across the floor, part of Slughorn's ruse that he had been attacked.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 there is a piano in front of the Quidditch pitch in the past of the 1993–1994 school year.
- One of the possible questions that can be asked during the sorting quiz on Pottermore is about musical instrument preferences. One of the possible answers is the piano.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4