Professor Dame Phyllida Spore was a witch. A celebrated Herbologist and author of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, Professor Spore was the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in her later life.
Professor Spore died sometime in or before 1995. Two portraits of her hung at Hogwarts: one painted in 1408 depicted a middle aged woman, and another, hung in the Headmaster's office, depicted her as a younger witch with long dark hair.
Magical abilities and skills
- Herbology: Phylida was a skilled Herbologist, having knowledge of One Thousand magical herbs and fungi and having written several books about the subject.
- Healing magic: One of her books, Healing at home with herbs, specialised on the healing properties of those herbs.
Behind the scenes
- Phyllida's portrait at the Headmaster's office appears only in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets a large painting of a wizard sleeping standing up against an armchair occupies that space, and in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the portrait of Phineas Nigellus Black is hung there.
- The portrait of Spore that is featured in Goblet of Fire was based on an 1858 portrait of poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806–1861), by Michele Gordigiani.
Her first name is from Greek for "leaf" or "plant." A spore is a body produced by fungi, algae and non-flowering plants that is very protective and resistant to drought.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.K. Rowling stated at the Edinburgh Book Festival on 15 August 2014 (source) that all portraits at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are of deceased individuals. Thus, Spore must have died sometime in or before 1995, given her portrait's appearance in the Headmaster's office in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 25 (The Seer Overheard)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) - Chapter 21 (The Pensieve)
- ↑ See this image.
- ↑ See this image.
|Professors: Herbert Beery · Pomona Sprout · Neville Longbottom|
|Textbooks: Flesh-Eating Trees of the World · Goshawk's Guide to Herbology · Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean · One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi · Winogrand's Wonderous Water Plants|
|Hogwarts class: Herbology Award · Herbology Lesson Cup · Herbology Race Cup · Herbology Store|
|Hogwarts greenhouses: One · Two · Three · Four · Five · Six · Seven · Professor's Office|
|Herbologists: Herbert Beery · Miranda Goshawk · Elladora Ketteridge · Beaumont Marjoribanks · Nepali wizard · Phyllida Spore · Tilden Toots · Hadrian Whittle · Sir Winogrand · Selina Sapworthy|
|Plants Studied: Bouncing Bulb · Bubotuber · Devil's Snare · Fire Seed Bush · Mandrake · Mimbulus Mimbletonia · Puffapod · Screechsnap · Self-fertilising shrub · Snargaluff · Spiky Bush · Spiky Prickly Plant · Umbrella Flower · Venomous Tentacula · Walking plant · Whomping Willow · Wild rice|