Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
After betraying the Potters, Pettigrew was pursued by Sirius Black, and was eventually cornered by him on a crowded London street. Pettigrew then loudly accused Black of betraying the Potters, created an explosion, and escaped, leaving behind a finger he had cut off to fake his death. This explosion claimed the lives of twelve Muggles and left a deep crater in the street. Surviving Muggle witnesses reported what Pettigrew said to Ministry of Magic officials. Thus framed, Black was imprisoned in Azkaban without trial.
The Ministry of Magic had difficulty covering up this event given the extent of the damage and the number of Muggle casualties. They erased the memories of surviving Muggle witnesses and disseminated the story that the explosion had been caused by a leak in a gas main.
It was not until 1993 that Remus Lupin realised Black was innocent and convinced Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger to believe the truth. Nevertheless, Cornelius Fudge ignored their stories, and the Ministry continued to consider Black guilty until after his murder in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries on 18 June, 1996.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Appears in photographs)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The fact there was a Queen's Guard in uniform among the casualties suggest the incident happened near one of the Queen's official residences in London.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 3 (The Knight Bus)