Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder is a magical item imported by Fred and George Weasley and sold by Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. This darkness powder creates darkness when used, allowing the user to escape. As its name indicates, it was originally invented by the wizarding community in Peru, which is the place from which the Weasley twins import the powder. The darkness produced was resistant to many light-casting spells, but the Hand of Glory is the one known way to find the way through it.
Draco Malfoy used this when he smuggled several Death Eaters into Hogwarts Castle. When Sybill Trelawney entered the Room of Requirement to hide her sherry bottles and stumbled into Malfoy, he used the powder to hide himself and the Vanishing Cabinet. Later, when the Death Eaters entered the castle via the said cabinet, Draco used the powder again to bypass the waiting members of Dumbledore's Army, and used his Hand of Glory to lead the Death Eaters through the darkness and towards the Astronomy Tower; he apparently exhausted his supply when his group encountered the Order of the Phoenix. After the battle, Ron mentioned that he better tell Fred and George to watch who buys their defensive products.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter used the powder to create a smokescreen in order to sneak onto Draco Malfoy's train compartment to overhear his plans as a Death Eater. In the book, he simply walks in while wearing the invisibility cloak as Blaise Zabini opens the door.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (Mentioned only)