|Permanent Sticking Charm|
Makes object permanently stay in place
- "We’ve been trying to get her down for a month but we think she put a Permanent Sticking Charm on the back of the canvas. Let’s get downstairs, quick, before they all wake up again."
- —Sirius Black talking to Harry Potter.[src]
The Permanent Sticking Charm (incantation unknown) is used to make an object permanently stay in place.
First mentioned in 1995, when Sirius Black suspected that his mother's painting was fixed to the wall with such a charm. A few days later, Fred and George Weasley "offered" to use it to stick Ron Weasley's prefect badge to his forehead. In 1996, it was implied that the portrait in the Muggle Prime Minister's office also has such a charm on it. In 1997, Harry Potter discovered that it was used by Sirius Black to permanently affix his Muggle and Gryffindor-based pictures and posters to the wall in his room to prevent his parents removing them after he ran away.
Behind the scenes
- It is never said whether the charm prevents the object from being removed by cutting away the section of the wall.
- The Muggle Prime Minister hired a builder who failed to remove a painting in his office that was likely put there with this charm.
- It seems that once this spell is applied, it is impossible to remove the said object from the portion of the wall since there seems to be no counter-spell for it. However, this might not be completely true since Sirius mentioned that he attempted to remove his mother's painting for months; his refusal to give up may indicate a possible solution.
- Epoximise may be a variation of the Permanent Sticking Charm, or even the incantation for the actual charm. This appears to not be the case since Epoximise, which is from the Harry Potter Trading Card Game, is labeled as a Transfiguration spell on its card, not a Charm. However, errors have been found with other cards. For example, the Severing Charm is incorrectly labeled as a transfiguration spell in the card game.
- Unlike some spells, the effect of a Permanent Sticking Charm does not seem to expire after its caster dies; the charm on Sirius's bedroom wall remained over a year after his death, and Walburga's portrait remained charmed over a decade after her death.