- "So top grade's O for ‘Outstanding'..."
- —Hermione Granger reviewing O.W.L. marks
Outstanding is one of the three passing grades, out of six grades overall, in the Ordinary Wizarding Levels, Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, and Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Tests. It is the highest mark possible, immediately above 'Exceeds Expectations'.
Advancing to N.E.W.T.
While most professors at Hogwarts set their N.E.W.T. classes entrance standards at 'Exceeds Expectations', meaning that the students must acquire such a grade in their O.W.L. in order to continue, Professor Severus Snape had set his Potion standards to 'Outstanding', meaning only the very best can continue.
Recipients of an O
|John Dawlish||pre 1990s|
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 27 (The Centaur and the Sneak)