- Harry Potter: "Were — were your parents Death Eaters as well?"
- Sirius Black: "No, no, but believe me, they thought Voldemort had the right idea, they were all for the purification of the wizarding race, getting rid of Muggle-borns and having pure-bloods in charge… I bet my parents thought Regulus was a right little hero for joining up at first."
- — Sirius Black to Harry Potter on his family’s views[src]
Orion Black (1929 – 1979) was a pure-blood wizard and the eldest son of Arcturus Black III and Melania Macmillan. He married his second cousin, Walburga Black, and the couple had two sons: Sirius and Regulus Black.
Orion was born to Arcturus Black III and his wife, Melania Macmillan, in 1929. He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Slytherin house, like most members of the House of Black. At some point, he married his second cousin Walburga Black, and the two lived at the traditional family home of 12 Grimmauld Place in London, England. Orion used a vast array of magical security measures on the house while he lived there.
- "It was my father's. Kreacher wasn't quite as devoted to him as to my mother, but I still caught him snogging a pair of my father's old trousers last week."
- —Sirius on Orion's ring[src]
Orion and his wife, like many members of the Black family, believed strongly in blood purity. To this end, they disowned their older son Sirius when he expressed different views, leading to Sirius moving in with the Potter family and Walburga burning his name off the family tapestry when he was sixteen years old.
Orion and Walburga favoured their younger son, Regulus, and approved when he joined the Death Eaters. Though they were not members of the organisation themselves, they agreed with Lord Voldemort's values and goals. However, according to Sirius, they became dismayed when they realised how far Voldemort was willing to go to achieve his aims; this may have been the reason behind Orion strengthening his home's magical defences during the height of the First Wizarding War.
- "Several times Kreacher sidled into the room and attempted to smuggle things away under his loincloth, muttering horrible curses every time they caught him at it. When Sirius wrested a large golden ring bearing the Black crest from his grip, Kreacher actually burst into furious tears and left the room sobbing under his breath and calling Sirius names Harry had never heard before."
- —Orion's eldest son throwing out his ring[src]
Orion owned a ring which was later thrown out by Sirius Black despite Kreacher's efforts to rescue it. It was big and golden, and had the family crest of the House of Black on it. During a clean-out of 12 Grimmauld Place, Kreacher tried to smuggle the ring to his room, but Sirius caught him and wrestled it from his hands. Kreacher then cried furiously and cursed at Sirius under his breath.
Kreacher once tried to save a pair of his old trousers as Sirius once caught him kissing Orion Black's old trousers.
Magical abilities and skills
- Defensive charms/Security: Orion Black is said to have had an extensive knowledge of defensive magic. While he resided at 12 Grimmauld Place, he cast on it, every single security measure known to mankind. These charms include a Muggle-Repelling charm.
Walburga and Orion had a happy marriage and relationship, especially since they shared blood purity ideology. Walburga was likely devastated when her husband died.
Orion and his wife disowned their eldest son, Sirius since he disagreed with the Black family's beliefs in blood purity and was sorted into Gryffindor rather than Slytherin. When Sirius left home at the age of 16, Walburga blasted his name off the tapestry. Orion died 2 years before Sirius was wrongfully thrown sent to Azkaban, so he never got to know.
Orion and his wife greatly admired and favoured their younger son, Regulus because he remained loyal to the Black family traditions and was sorted into Slytherin. In 1979, both Orion and Regulus died.
Orion, like many members of the House of Black, is named after a constellation. Orion is a very prominent constellation, known as the Hunter. Contemporary astronomical imagery has Orion next to the "river" Eridanus and two hunting dogs, one of which contains the star Sirius, the name of Orion Black's older son. In Greek mythology, Orion was a giant huntsman who angered the gods, and was subsequently killed by the great scorpion after which the constellation Scorpius is named.
In other versions of the tale, Orion is actually killed by Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, when she is tricked by her brother, Apollo, who is jealous of her love. Apollo bet Artemis that she couldn't hit a small mark down in a river, which was actually Orion's head, visible above the water as he was swimming. Artemis, not realising what her brother was making her do, shot Orion in the head. She then became distraught upon finding out about her mistake.
Behind the scenes
- Orion, as well as the rest of his family, may have been sorted in Slytherin.
- Since Orion and his cousin, Cygnus Black III were born in the same year, it is most likely that they were classmates at Hogwarts.
- Orion and Walburga's disillusionment with the Death Eater organisation, Regulus' defection from the group, Orion's strengthening of his house's defences, and his and his son's death all coincide.
- On the family tree in the film Orion has got a large blue turban, but on the 2nd DVD of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix his turban is red.
- Depending on which month in 1929 he was born, Orion might have encountered Tom Riddle during their Hogwarts, as the latter was two or three years older than the former.
- Orion and his son Regulus died in the same year, 1979.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 Black family tree
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 In Chapter 4 of Half-Blood Prince, Horace Slughorn states: "The whole Black family had been in my house, but Sirius ended up in Gryffindor!" This implies that all Blacks except Sirius were Sorted into Slytherin while Slughorn was Head of House. Orion, born in 1929, presumably attended Hogwarts c. 1940 to 1947, and thus would have been a student of Slughorn, who was stated to have begun teaching at Hogwarts around the same time as Albus Dumbledore in Chapter 5 of Half-Blood Prince, in 1938 or earlier. Sirius Black also states "My whole family have been in Slytherin" and in Chapter 23 of Deathly Hallows, confirming that at least those Blacks closely related to Sirius were in Slytherin.
- ↑ Sirius Black: My father put every security measure known to Wizard-kind on it when he lived here. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix