The Order of Merlin is an award bestowed upon wizards and witches who have achieved great deeds. It has three different levels: First Class, Second Class, and Third Class.
The Order of Merlin was founded by Merlin in the Middle Ages as an organisation with the goal of promoting laws to protect and benefit Muggles. It is unknown when the Order changed from an organisation to an award or when its focus shifted from advocating Muggle rights to honouring great wizarding accomplishments in general.
Order of Merlin, First Class
- Sirius Black's grandfather (either Arcturus Black III or Pollux Black)
- Albus Dumbledore
- Cornelius Fudge
- Presumably for his election as Minister for Magic.
- Orabella Nuttley
- Peter Pettigrew
- Awarded (supposedly) posthumously, for his "heroic confrontation," or so it was believed at the time, with Sirius Black. The medal was given to Pettigrew's mother. Pettigrew, not Black, was later revealed to have been the one who betrayed the Potter family, and it is possible his Order of Merlin was retracted as a result.
- Tilly Toke
- Norvel Twonk
- Podric Batworthy
Order of Merlin, Second Class
- Newt Scamander
- Awarded "in recognition of his services to the study of magical beasts, Magizoology".
Order of Merlin, Third Class
- Gilderoy Lockhart
- He received this award for his encounter with many dark creatures and instructing people on how to repel them. In 1993, it was revealed that he had only taken credit for these deeds and had not really done any of them. This might have led to his Order's retraction.
Recipients of unknown class
- Cottismore Croyne
- Albert Gibbering Stump
- For unknown reasons.
- Cornelius Fudge promised to give Severus Snape the Order of Merlin, First Class, for capturing Sirius Black, then assumed to be a fugitive murderer, but Black escaped before Fudge could follow through on his word. It was later stated that the loss of this Order of Merlin hit Snape hard, and allegedly was the reason that he let it slip that Remus Lupin was a werewolf.
- It can also be assumed that Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger were given the Order of Merlin, First Class, for finding and destroying all of Lord Voldemort's horcruxes, therefore destroying Lord Voldemort himself. Another possibility is Neville Longbottom, who rather unwittingly assisted the three in this task by killing Nagini.
Behind the scenes
- The "Muggle" counterpart to the Order of Merlin could include the Order of the British Empire, Victoria Cross, Medal of Honor, Presidential Medal of Freedom, or the Nobel Prize.
- Since 1966, the International Brotherhood of Magicians has been awarding the Order of Merlin to long-standing members.
- Since Dumbledore was on the verge of losing his Order of Merlin during Fudge's campaign, it means that a certain level of disgrace is capable of causing a recipient to lose the Order. Pettigrew indeed lost his when his treason became public.
- As Fudge was heavily disgraced for his lack of actions against Lord Voldemort's return, it is possible that his Order has been retracted.
- Due to Lockhart being a fraudulent crook who stole credits from other wizards and witches to boost his own fame, it is most likely he earned his Order with deceit and trickery. It is unknown if it was retracted when his true colours were revealed.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Famous Wizard Card (Merlin)
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - The Paintings of Hogwarts: Masterpieces from the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Sets
- ↑ Horace Slughorn states in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7, "I was just telling young Marcus here that I had the pleasure of teaching his Uncle Damocles. Outstanding wizard, outstanding, and his Order of Merlin most well-deserved."