An Order for the Expulsion of Peeves was an order that Dolores Umbridge asked Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge to sign in April 1996. It presumably would have had the legal authority to permanently expel Peeves the poltergeist from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is uncertain, however, if any such order was ever signed. Not long after this request was made, Fred Weasley told the poltergeist to "Give her hell from us, Peeves!" and Peeves began his own campaign of harassment against Dolores Umbridge.
Behind the scenes
It is uncertain how such an order could have ever been enforced, were it ever enacted. According to J. K. Rowling's Official Website, Peeves is an "indestructible spirit of chaos." Furthermore, he has been with Hogwarts since it was founded in 993 and, according to Rowling "...is like dry rot. You can try and eradicate it. It comes with the building. You’re stuck. If you've got Peeves you're stuck."
- This could be Umbridge and Filch's lack of understanding of the properties of poltergeist, as Umbridge had demonstrated that she did not understand of several areas of expertise, such as Veritaserum brewing and eliminating the various prank devices set by Fred and George Weasley.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 - (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 - (Careers Advice)
- ↑ Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Two" The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005