At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
The Occamy is a winged serpentine beast native to Asia.
It was a plumed, two-legged serpentine-bodied creature with wings that reached up to fifteen feet in height. The Occamy was extremely aggressive to anyone who approached it, and lived off of insects, rats, birds, and occasionally monkeys. It was extremely protective of its eggs, which were made of the most pure and soft silver. It was found in the Far East and India.
It was once Gilderoy Lockhart's ambition to create a line of haircare products, as he was very proud of his naturally bouncy and wavy hair. He wanted to mass produce the products with his secret ingredient: occamy eggs. As occamies are very territorial, it proved to be too dangerous and too expensive to supply. It is unknown if Lockhart, a long-term resident of St Mungo's, recalls this failed aspiration.
The word "occamy" is derived from the name of the English philosopher Occam, who invented the methodological principle "Occam's Razor", which asserts that when evaluating two competing explanations for a situation one should accept the one that requires least assumptions to be made (or, in other words, nothing should be presumed to exist that is not absolutely necessary for explanation).
As such, the naming of this creature as an "occamy" is a joke on the part of J. K. Rowling, since the existence of the occamy itself (and just about every other creature described in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) has no reason to exist and came into being solely for the sake of fleshing out the aforementioned book.
"Occamy" is also phonetically similar to the Japanese word "ookami" (大神), which translates into "great god" or "wolf" (a wordplay used in the video game Okami, which starred a goddess in the form of a wolf).
Behind the scenes
- It is currently unknown if Occamies, given their snake-like appearance, can speak Parseltongue.
- While some art depicts them as bipedal bird-like creatures, the film showed them as long and serpentine.
- The film version of the Occamy resembles Quetzalcoatl, a god of Central American myth who had the appearance of a feathered serpent.
- Occamies resemble Amphipteres from European Heraldry, and were described as serpentine creatures with either fully feathered bodies and wings or scaled bodies with semi-feathered wings.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- LEGO Dimensions
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ "'Fantastic Beasts': Meet the Creatures" at Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ (see this image)
- ↑ http://insider.pottermore.com/2014/11/happy-birthday-silvanus-kettleburn.html
- ↑ Court record of the legal dispute between JK Rowling and the HP Lexicon over the proposed publication by the latter of an unofficial and unauthorised Harry Potter guide
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|