|We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere —|
- Cantankerus Nott — suspected author of the Pure-Blood Directory in the 1930s
- Mr Nott – one of the earliest Death Eaters
- Mrs Nott – Theodore's mother, who died when he was a child
- Theodore Nott – a Slytherin student in Harry Potter’s year at Hogwarts, arrested in his adulthood for possession of an illegal Time-Turner
The name Nott may be derived from Nótt, the personification of night in Norse mythology. It is also similar in pronounciation to the words "naught" and "knot".
Behind the scenes
- It is possible that the family is not all "truly pure-blood" and if Cantankerus Nott is the author of the Pure-Blood Directory, then he probably just listed the Nott family so they would get praised by other supremacists. However, on an old version of her website, Joanne K. Rowling described Theodore Nott as being as pure-blood as Draco. This doesn't exclude the possibility that some Notts were half-bloods, as Pottermore confirmed that some half-blood Malfoys exist.