|Ministry of Magic Classification||
A Niffler is a treasure-hunting creature with a long narrow snout. They are very attracted to shiny things, which makes them wonderful for locating anything metallic or shimmery, but they might bite if a person is wearing any jewellery.
Nifflers are freaking cute little animals who live 20 feet under ground Hogwarts.They can produce 1 to 6 younglings at a time. They love treasure. If your wearing jewerlly,look out!
Nifflers are kept by Goblins to burrow for treasure.
During the 1994–1995 school year, Rubeus Hagrid used them as part of the Fourth years Care of Magical Creatures class. Prior to class he hid Leprechaun gold in the earth in front of his hut. He paired each student with a Niffler and promised a prize to whoever found the most gold. Ron Weasley asked Rubeus Hagrid if they could buy these Nifflers as pets, and with knowledge, Hagrid said his mum wouldn't want one because they wreck houses, but this was not a definitive "no". This means there is a very good chance that wizards can purchase Nifflers. When Hagrid caught Gregory Goyle pocketing the gold, he explained that trying to steal it was pointless, as Leprechaun gold was worthless because it disappeared after a few hours. Ron's Niffler found the most gold, so Hagrid rewarded him with a large slab of chocolate from Honeydukes.
During Dolores Umbridge's tenure as Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Lee Jordan used a Levitation Charm to levitate two Nifflers through her office window to wreck the place. Umbridge blamed Hagrid for it, and this did not help him during her Hogwarts High Inquisitor inspections.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, Nifflers can be seen in outdoor places such as on the Hogwarts grounds, and in the maze used for the Third Task. They can be shot with Reducto and similar spells for Studs. Sometimes, like on the shores of the Black Lake, a certain number must be shot to unlock characters. They appear similar to moles.
- After the second Niffler was let loose in Dolores Umbridge's office, she put in place an extra security protection that caused her to catch Harry when he snuck into the office to use the fireplace.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA and NDS versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|