At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "We wanted it to relate somehow to the animal kingdom, but we thought it was sort-of inappropriate to give him anything that might have a trophy feel to it. We didn’t think he would be into that at all. The main part of this one is wood."
- —A description of Newt's wand[src]
Behind the scenes
- Eddie Redmayne chose the wand from a number of different designs because he loved that it was very simple, and made of organic materials. He thought it was suitable for Newt and his love of creatures. It was also made of timber, which Eddie liked because it looked like it was "whittled". It has something carved into the end that slips into Eddie's hand when he holds it.
- In The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the entry for Newt's wand reads, "'Wands are weird', says head prop maker Pierre Bohana, whose team were responsible for creating the ones used in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, 'because they can be so simple, literally a stick. They are always absolutely bespoke to the characters. With Newt's they wanted something they could trace back to an animal component. Obviously they didn't want anything macabre, so the handle is made of a piece of shell but it's very tubular, like a sandworm shell in feel, but with a pearling effect. The tip was a piece of ash, fairly worn down. It had a lot of character, chips, knocks and bangs to show a full life, a well-worked life.'"
- According to the prop designer in an interview included on the Blu Ray special features, Newt's wand was made to show his respect for animals and the environment. The handle was made from belemnite, which is a fossilised inner skeleton of ancient squids.
- Eddie Redmayne was stopped at an airport, where he had to explain why he was carrying a sharp piece of wood, with a little shell stuck to the bottom.
- Like most witches and wizards in Britain, he may have purchased his wand from Ollivander's at age eleven before beginning his time at Hogwarts, or he may have acquired this wand while travelling the world.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- LEGO Dimensions
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ When Eddie Redmayne chose Newt Scamander's wand by Pottermore
- ↑ The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (see image)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Blu-Ray special)
- ↑ In a Potter bother! Fantastic Beasts star Eddie Redmayne reveals he got grilled over wand after trying to smuggle it through customs at DailyMail