At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Newton Scamander's wand was of unknown length, made of lime, and contained elements of bone core, along with shell which was placed in the end of the wand. It has something carved into the end that slips into his hand when he holds it.
Behind the scenes
- Before he began his education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, his wand may have been purchased from Ollivander's Wand Shop when he was eleven years old, much like many other witches and wizards in the United Kingdom.
- Given the unusual materials of Newt's wand unlike those seen in a wand from Garrick Ollivander, he may have obtained it from his father Gervaise, who during his career according to Garrick were 'wrestling with substandard wand core materials', or another Wandmaker.
- Although it is stated that Newt was expelled from Hogwarts, it is unknown if his wand was snapped, as seen in the later 1943 expulsion of Rubeus Hagrid. There may be differences in the age of the student, the severity of the crime, or the administration at Hogwarts during the time that influence such an action.
- So far, Newt's wand is the only wand in canon with a core made from multiple animal-derived materials.
- Eddie Redmayne chose the wand from a number of designs made by Stuart Craig. He loved that it was very simple, and made of organic materials including some fossilised pieces. He thought it was suitable for Newt and his love of creatures. It was also made of timber, which Eddie liked because it looked like it was "whittled". It has something carved into the end that slips into Eddie's hand when he holds it.
- Newt is seen as being able to materialise his wand out of thin air, the first time such an ability has ever been demonstrated.
Notes and references
- ↑ Newt was born 1897 so if he purchased this wand at age 11, it would need to have been made in 1908 or earlier
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 EXCLUSIVE: Newt's wand has elements of BONE, LIME, and SHELL. #FantasticBeasts #HPCelebration by MuggleNet.com on Twitter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 When Eddie Redmayne chose Newt Scamander's wand by Pottermore
- ↑ Teaser trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them