At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Newton Scamander's wand was of unknown length, made of ash and lime, and contained elements of bone and fossil shell (belemnite), the latter of which made up the handle.It has something carved into the end that slips into his right hand when he holds it.
Behind the scenes
- Eddie Redmayne chose the wand from a number of designs made by Stuart Craig. He loved that it was very simple, and made of organic materials including some fossilised pieces. He thought it was suitable for Newt and his love of creatures. It was also made of timber, which Eddie liked because it looked like it was "whittled". It has something carved into the end that slips into Eddie's hand when he holds it.
- In The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the entry for Newt's wand reads, "'Wands are weird', says head prop maker Pierre Bohana, whose team were responsible for creating the ones used in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, 'because they can be so simple, literally a stick. They are always absolutely bespoke to the characters. With Newt's they wanted something they could trace back to an animal component. Obviously they didn't want anything macabre, so the handle is made of a piece of shell but it's very tubular, like a sandworm shell in feel, but with a pearling effect. The tip was a piece of ash, fairly worn down. It had a lot of character, chips, knocks and bangs to show a full life, a well-worked life.'"
- According to the prop designer in an interview included on the Blu Ray special features, Newts wand was made to show his respect for animals and the environment. The handle was made from belemnite, which is a fossilised inner skeleton of ancient squids.
- Eddie Redmayne was stopped at an airport, where he had to explain why he was carrying a sharp piece of wood, with a little shell stuck to the bottom.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- LEGO Dimensions
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ The Late Night Show with Stephen Colbert - Eddie Redmayne Shows Off His Wand Skills
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 EXCLUSIVE: Newt's wand has elements of BONE, LIME, and SHELL. #FantasticBeasts #HPCelebration by MuggleNet.com on Twitter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) - BluRay Special Featurette
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 When Eddie Redmayne chose Newt Scamander's wand by Pottermore
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sd2BljZvoQ&t=75s
- ↑ The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (see image)