|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The subject of this article is of a real-life person, place, group, company, product, or creative work that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
New Zealand is a country located in the south-western Pacific Ocean comprising of three main landmasses. Its capital is Wellington.
Magical beasts and beings
- The Antipodean Opaleye is a Dragon native to New Zealand though it has been known to migrate to Australia.
- Ghosts have been sighted throughout the country.
- In Maori myths, there is a Kelpie like creature called a Taniwha (TAH-NEE-FA) that resides in rivers.
Magical games and sports
- Quidditch was introduced to New Zealand some time in the seventeenth century by a group of European herbologists. After a long day collecting samples, the wizards would relax by playing Quidditch. The New Zealand Ministry of Magic has spent a lot of effort in trying to keep early Maori art depicting white wizards playing the game away from Muggles.
- The Moutohora Macaws are a Quidditch team from New Zealand.
- The mascot of New Zealand's Quidditch Team is a Phoenix named Sparky.
Behind the scenes
- Chris Rankin, who portrays Percy Weasley in the films, was born in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Terence Bayler who portrays the Bloody Baron was born in Wanganui, New Zealand.
- Pam Ferris who portrays Aunt Marge was brought up in New Zealand where she found her interest in acting.