|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
The grandfather of Neville Longbottom (before 1947—between 1980 and 1995) was a pure-blood wizard. He died while his grandson was present, thus enabling Neville to see Thestrals years later. He revealed as much to Dolores Umbridge during her time evaluating a Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Neville mentioned that, in 1947, his grandfather put a fanged gerbil into his grandmother's handbag as a joke, and that after this, she kept a mousetrap in her bag at all times.
He may have had at least one sibling.
Behind the scenes
- Neville only mentions this person as being his grandfather, but doesn't specify which side of the family he is from. He may be Frank Longbottom's father and Augusta Longbottom's husband, or he may be Alice Longbottom's father.
- If he was Neville's paternal grandfather and Augusta's husband, it is possible that he was the son of Callidora Black and Harfang Longbottom shown on the Black family tapestry, though this is unconfirmed.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- The Queen's Handbag (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Dimensions (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Quill of Acceptance and The Book of Admittance" states that Neville had "disappointed great aunts and uncles"; Algie and Enid are one of each... making two more that are unaccounted for; it is unknown as to whether they are Augusta's siblings or her husband's, making it possible that either one had at least one sibling.