A Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test (often abbreviated N.E.W.T.) is a subject-specific exam that seventh year wizards and witches at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry take to help them pursue certain careers after their graduation. For instance, the Ministry of Magic only accepts Auror applicants with at least five N.E.W.T.s with top grades of either 'Exceeds Expectations' or 'Outstanding'.
A student must have previously achieved an O.W.L. in the subject in order to move on to N.E.W.T.-level classes. Most Hogwarts Professors will accept an 'Exceeds Expectations' on the student's O.W.L. for a class in order to allow them to advance to N.E.W.T.-level. However, some professors like Severus Snape, would only let students with an 'Outstanding' in their O.W.L. pass through to his Potions N.E.W.T. class, although he did accept students with 'Exceeds Expectations' into his N.E.W.T.-level D.A.D.A. class during the 1996–1997 school year. This may or may not have been at the prompting of Professor Dumbledore.
Known students who passed N.E.W.T.s
- Alastor Moody
- Alice Longbottom
- Frank Longbottom
- Gawain Robards
- John Dawlish (earned top grade on all his N.E.W.T.s)
- Kingsley Shacklebolt
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Rufus Scrimgeour
- The Marauders and Lily Evans
- Albus Dumbledore (earned top grade on all his N.E.W.T.s)
- Minerva McGonagall (earned top grades on her N.E.W.T.s)
- Severus Snape
- Barty Crouch Jr.
- Percy Weasley
- Tom Riddle
- Hermione Granger (returned after Battle of Hogwarts to take N.E.W.T.s)
- Ginny Weasley
- Most likely others who worked for the Ministry of Magic, such as Arthur Weasley, Mafalda Hopkirk, Amelia Bones, and Dolores Umbridge.
- Hogwarts Professors most likely have taken N.E.W.T.s, at least in their own subject
Notable students who did not take N.E.W.T.s
Not all wizards pass or even take the N.E.W.T.s, as they can find other jobs using their O.W.L. results. Fred and George Weasley, for example, did not bother taking the N.E.W.T.s and left Hogwarts to set up a joke shop. However, it should be noted that the immediate cause of their departure was to evade the much-disliked Professor Umbridge, and that the aim of most students was always to return for the final two years.
- Harry Potter (didn't return to school for seventh year; went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, ends up becoming the Head of Auror Office in 2007).
- Ron Weasley (didn't return to school for seventh year; went to work at the joke shop with his brother George, later worked at the Ministry as an Auror).
- Neville Longbottom (went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, then returned to Hogwarts as a professor in Herbology).
- Fred and George Weasley (mentioned above, left during the rule of Dolores Umbridge, before exams and started their own joke shop).
- Zygmunt Budge (left at the age of fourteen to pursue private studies in potion-making)
Behind the scenes
- The N.E.W.T. is comparable to the Muggle A-Levels given at a similar stage of education in most of the UK and Commonwealth, the leaving certificate given in Ireland, the Advanced Placement exams given in the United States, the Australian Certificate of Education (overriding State certificates in 2014) given in Australia, or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme given worldwide.
- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger skipped the 1997–1998 school year, which would have been their final year, due to the reign of Lord Voldemort and their search for his Horcruxes. Presumably, Muggle-born students also missed their schooling that year. After the defeat of Voldemort, Hermione completed her education and took her N.E.W.T.s, while Harry became an Auror and Ron helped his brother George at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Those who participated in the Battle of Hogwarts were given exemptions from usual Auror qualifications by Kingsley Shacklebolt due to their duelling experience.
- Doing well on N.E.W.T.s is normally imperative to earning a position at the Ministry of Magic, except under special circumstances (see above).
- N.E.W.T.s are the highest level of examinations given at Hogwarts. It is unknown what system other wizarding schools such as Beauxbatons or Durmstrang use.
- It is assumed that the name, N.E.W.T., is a play on words, because Owls and Newts are both animals.
- It is possible that Katie Bell did not take her N.E.W.T.s as she was hospitalised for most of her seventh year. If this is the case, then this would explain as to why Katie attended Hogwarts in both parts of the Deathly Hallows film.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Ron is still in Snape's class with Harry, even though it's noted earlier in the book that he did not get any "Outstanding" O.W.L.s.
- ↑ Most likely, seen as becoming an Auror requires a minimum of five N.E.W.T.s.
- ↑ Requirements to become a Healer include N.E.W.T.s of at least grade E in the subjects of Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- ↑ PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part one