Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test (often abbreviated N.E.W.T.) is a subject-specific exam that seventh year wizards and witches at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry take to help them pursue certain careers after their graduation.
The N.E.W.T. exams are the highest level tests that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry offer to students. The exams themselves are incredibly difficult as stated in the name "nastily exhausting". At the end of their seventh and final year, students take the N.E.W.T. exams, which test what the student has learned over the past two years. Many professions require high grades in these tests, meaning that students must work hard to ensure that they pass. Not all students pass or even take N.E.W.T.s.
Advancing to N.E.W.T. classes
A student must have previously achieved an O.W.L. in the subject in order to move on to N.E.W.T.-level classes. Most Hogwarts Professors will accept an 'Exceeds Expectations' on the student's O.W.L. for a class in order to allow them to advance to N.E.W.T.-level. However, some professors like Severus Snape, would only let students with an 'Outstanding' in their O.W.L. pass through to his Potions N.E.W.T. class, although he did accept students with 'Exceeds Expectations' into his N.E.W.T.-level DADA class during the 1996–1997 school year.
Known achievers of N.E.W.T.s
- Most likely others who worked for the Ministry of Magic, such as Arthur Weasley, Mafalda Hopkirk, Amelia Bones, and Dolores Umbridge.
- Hogwarts Professors most likely have taken N.E.W.T.s, at least in their own subject
Notable students who didn't take N.E.W.T.s
Not all wizards pass or even take the N.E.W.T.s, as they can find other jobs using their O.W.L. results. Fred and George Weasley, for example, did not bother taking the N.E.W.T.s and left Hogwarts to set up a joke shop. However, it should be noted that the immediate cause of their departure was to evade the much-despised Professor Umbridge, and that the aim of most students was always to return for the final two years.
|Harry Potter||Didn't return to school for seventh year; went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, raises to the Head of Auror Office in 2007.|
|Ron Weasley||Didn't return to school for seventh year; worked at the Ministry as an Auror, later went to work at the joke shop with his brother George.|
|Neville Longbottom||Went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, then returned to Hogwarts as a professor in Herbology.|
|Fred Weasley||Mentioned above, left during the rule of Dolores Umbridge, before exams and started their own joke shop.|
|Zygmunt Budge||Left at the age of fourteen to pursue private studies in potion-making.|
|Cedric Diggory||Murdered by Lord Voldemort in his sixth year before he had a chance to take N.E.W.T.s at the end his seventh year.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||Expelled from Hogwarts in his third year, wrongly accused of opening the Chamber of Secrets that resulted in the death of a girl.|
Behind the scenes
- The N.E.W.T. is comparable to the Muggle A-Levels given at a similar stage of education in most of the UK and Commonwealth, the leaving certificate given in Ireland, the Advanced Placement exams given in the United States, the Australian Certificate of Education (overriding State certificates in 2014) given in Australia, or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme given worldwide.
- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger skipped the 1997–1998 school year, which would have been their final year, due to the reign of Lord Voldemort and their search for his Horcruxes. Presumably, Muggle-born students also missed their schooling that year. After the defeat of Voldemort, Hermione completed her education and took her N.E.W.T.s, while Harry became an Auror and Ron initially became an Auror and then left to help his brother George at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Those who participated in the Battle of Hogwarts were given exemptions from usual Auror qualifications by Kingsley Shacklebolt due to their duelling experience.
- Doing well on N.E.W.T.s is normally imperative to earning a position at the Ministry of Magic, except under special circumstances (see above).
- N.E.W.T.s are the highest level of examinations given at Hogwarts. It is unknown what system other wizarding schools such as Beauxbatons or Durmstrang use.
- It is assumed that the name, N.E.W.T., is a play on words (like the O.W.L.s), because owls and newts are both animals.
- It is possible that Katie Bell did not take her N.E.W.T.s as she was hospitalised for most of her seventh year. If this is the case, then this would explain as to why Katie attended Hogwarts in both parts of the Deathly Hallows film.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Ron is still in Snape's class with Harry, even though it's noted earlier in the book that he did not get any "Outstanding" O.W.L.s.
- ↑ Most likely, seen as becoming an Auror requires a minimum of five N.E.W.T.s.
- ↑ Requirements to become a Healer include N.E.W.T.s of at least grade E in the subjects of Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- ↑ PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part one
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|