|"We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere —"|
A Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test (often abbreviated N.E.W.T.) is a subject-specific exam that seventh year wizards and witches at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry take to help them pursue certain careers after their graduation.
At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, pupils have to complete the Ordinary Wizarding Level before selecting the subjects they want to continue for N.E.W.T. level, which is the highest grade that they can achieve. They pick the subjects at the start of their sixth year, providing they achieved the O.W.L. grade that the teacher wants them to have.
They study for their N.E.W.T.s in the sixth and seventh year, before sitting an exam for each subject at the end of the seventh and final year. The exams themselves are incredibly difficult as stated in the name "nastily exhausting".
It is vital they achieve a high grade, as many professions will require them. Pupils do not have to sit their N.E.W.T.s if they don't want to.
Advancing to N.E.W.T. classes
A student must have previously achieved an O.W.L. in the subject in order to move on to N.E.W.T.-level classes. Most Hogwarts Professors will accept an 'Exceeds Expectations' on the student's O.W.L. for a class in order to allow them to advance to N.E.W.T.-level. However, some professors like Severus Snape, would only let students with an 'Outstanding' in their O.W.L. pass through to his Potions N.E.W.T. class, although he did accept students with 'Exceeds Expectations' into his N.E.W.T.-level DADA class during the 1996–1997 school year.
Known achievers of N.E.W.T.s
- Dilys Derwent
- Augustus Pye
- Hippocrates Smethwyck
- Helbert Spleen
- Miriam Strout
- Hannah Abbott
- Most likely Ministry of Magic employees
- Hogwarts Professors most likely have taken N.E.W.T.s, at least in their own subject. An exception may be Neville Longbottom, who left Hogwarts to be an Auror.
- Hermione Granger returned to take her N.E.W.T.s despite not attending her seventh year at Hogwarts at the time she should have. She probably continued with the subjects she picked at the start of her sixth year; Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Potions.
Notable students who didn't take N.E.W.T.s
Not all wizards pass or even take the N.E.W.T.s, as they can find other jobs using their O.W.L. results. Fred and George Weasley, for example, did not bother taking the N.E.W.T.s and left Hogwarts to set up a joke shop. However, it should be noted that the immediate cause of their departure was to evade the much-despised Professor Umbridge, and that the aim of most students was always to return for the final two years.
|Harry Potter||Picked Charms, Herbology, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration and Potions but decided not to return to school for the seventh year; went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, raises to the Head of Auror Office in 2007.|
|Ron Weasley||Picked the same subjects as Harry but decided not return to school for seventh year too; worked at the Ministry as an Auror, later went to work at the joke shop with his brother George.|
|Neville Longbottom||Picked at least three subjects; Charms, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts, but he left before the end of the seventh year; he went to work for the Ministry as an Auror, and then returned to Hogwarts as a professor in Herbology.|
|Fred Weasley †||Mentioned above, left during the rule of Dolores Umbridge, before exams and started their own joke shop.|
|Zygmunt Budge||Left at the age of fourteen to pursue private studies in potion-making.|
|Cedric Diggory †||Murdered by Peter Pettigrew on Lord Voldemort's orders in his sixth year before he had a chance to take N.E.W.T.s at the end his seventh year.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||Expelled from Hogwarts in his third year, wrongly accused of opening the Chamber of Secrets that resulted in the death of a girl.|
Behind the scenes
- The N.E.W.T. is comparable to the Muggle A-Levels given at a similar stage of education in most of the UK and Commonwealth, the leaving certificate given in Ireland, the Advanced Placement exams given in the United States, the Australian Certificate of Education (overriding State certificates in 2014) given in Australia, or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme given worldwide.
- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger skipped the 1997–1998 school year, which would have been their final year, due to the reign of Lord Voldemort and their search for his Horcruxes. Presumably, Muggle-born students also missed their schooling that year. After the defeat of Voldemort, Hermione completed her education and took her N.E.W.T.s, while Harry became an Auror and Ron initially became an Auror and then left to help his brother George at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Those who participated in the Battle of Hogwarts were given exemptions from usual Auror qualifications by Kingsley Shacklebolt due to their duelling experience.
- Doing well on N.E.W.T.s is normally imperative to earning a position at the Ministry of Magic, except under special circumstances (see above).
- N.E.W.T.s are the highest level of examinations given at Hogwarts. It is unknown what system other wizarding schools such as Beauxbatons or Durmstrang use.
- It is assumed that the name, N.E.W.T., is a play on words (like the O.W.L.s), because owls and newts are both animals.
- It is possible that Katie Bell did not take her N.E.W.T.s as she was hospitalised for most of her seventh year. If this is the case, then this would explain as to why Katie attended Hogwarts in both parts of the Deathly Hallows film.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Ron is still in Snape's class with Harry, even though it's noted earlier in the book that he did not get any "Outstanding" O.W.L.s.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince)
- ↑ Requirements to become a Healer include N.E.W.T.s of at least grade E in the subjects of Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- ↑ Most likely, seen as becoming an Auror requires a minimum of five N.E.W.T.s.
- ↑ PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part one
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|