- "Common in damp places mushrooms can be used in many potions."
A mushroom, also known as a toadstool, is the spore producing part of a fungus, which is the portion of the organism visible above ground. Though some varieties are poisonous, other types of mushrooms are edible; sautéed mushrooms were a part of the Traditional English Breakfast served at the Three Broomsticks Inn. Mushrooms can also be used as a potion ingredient.
When searching for a letter to Harry Potter from Albus Dumbledore she was meant to deliver, Luna Lovegood gave Ron Weasley a large spotted toadstool from her purse to hold, along with a Gurdyroot and a large quantity of cat litter.
Harry, Ron, and Hermione Granger depended on such free-growing foods as wild mushrooms for sustenance during their hunt for Voldemort's Horcruxes. The first time they did this was the first night after their infiltration of the Ministry of Magic; Ron was unable to finish his portion due to feeling queasy, and Harry only ate his for the sake of Hermione's feelings.
Types of mushroom
- Bursting mushroom
- Fat red toadstool
- Field mushroom
- Leaping Toadstool
- Poisonous mushroom
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)