St. Mungo Bonham (1560 - 1659) was the wizard who founded St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Before founding the Hospital he was a Healer himself.
Behind the scenes
- In reality, Saint Mungo is the commonly used name for Saint Kentigern of the Catholic church who lived in the sixth century Scotland and England. He was also known as a founder of the Glasgow Cathedral. A Feast day for St. Mungo, also known as St. Mungo's Day, is observed on the 13th of January every year after he was canonised.
- Mungo also shares part of his name with Helena Bonham Carter, the actress who portrays Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter films.
- Also, though Religion was quitely referred in the Harry Potter, Mungo was the first - and only - saint in the Wizarding World. It is unknown if he is reverenced my witches and wizards in the same way Merlin is.
The name "Mungo" is possibly derived from Welsh mwyn "gentle, kind". This was a nickname of the 6th-century Saint Kentigern.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Wizard of the Month
Notes and references