Mulciber was a wizard, possibly son of Mulciber, and a Slytherin student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. After graduating from Hogwarts, he became a Death Eater. He fought in several battles during the First Wizarding War. Mulciber was imprisoned in Azkaban after Voldemort's first downfall, but escaped after Lord Voldemort's return in 1995. During the Second Wizarding War, Mulciber fought at the Battle of the Department of Mysteries with a group of Death Eaters, attempting to take a prophecy from Harry Potter. After the battle, he was imprisoned in Azkaban, but escaped in 1997. It is possible that he fought at the Battle of Hogwarts, too. After Voldemort's defeat in 1998, he was presumably killed or imprisoned again in Azkaban.
Mulciber attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1970s. He and his friend Avery enjoyed playing cruel pranks on their fellow students, including Mary Macdonald, on whom Mulciber attempted to use Dark Magic during the 1975-1976 school year. Mulciber was also a friend of Severus Snape, which upset Lily Evans, who was Snape's best friend at the time. She found Mulciber's sense of humour to be very sadistic and did not understand how Severus could associate with someone like him.
First Wizarding War
Mulciber eventually joined the Death Eaters. Igor Karkaroff tried to turn Mulciber in to the Ministry of Magic in an attempt to gain release from Azkaban Prison, telling that he specialised at the Imperius Curse, only to be informed, to his dismay, that Mulciber had already been caught.
According to Karkaroff, Mulciber was among Lord Voldemort's most important supporters.
Second Wizarding War
Battle of the Department of Mysteries
Later that year, he participated in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and was paired with Lucius Malfoy. It's unknown if he encountered the children during the chase, but he likely fought the Order of the Phoenix when they came to the rescue. After the battle, he was captured once more.
Personality and traits
Even during his years at Hogwarts, Mulciber was described by Lily Evans as having an "evil" sense of humour, even more than Avery. He enjoyed playing cruel pranks on other students, showing a sadistic streak. Lily also called Mulciber and Avery "Death Eaters", before they became two of them, meaning that they had a passion with Dark Arts and blood-purity.
Magical abilities and skills
- Imperius Curse: According to Igor Karkaroff, Mulciber specialised in the Imperius Curse, forcing people to do many frightening things. It is possible that he attempted to use the Imperius Curse on Mary MacDonald, during his time at Hogwarts.
May refer to Mulciber (Hephaestus), meaning "smelter", is an alternate name for the gentle son of Hera and husband of Aphrodite, who had a club foot and was a craftsman and balcksmith in Greek mythology. In Roman mythology he is the god of fire and metallurgy, Vulcan. More likely Rowling n refers to Mulciber, a character in John Milton's Paradise Lost, a story based on mankind falling into sin and the struggle of heaven and hell. Mulciber was a fallen angel who is the architect of Pandemonium, the capital of Hell and home to the demons' council.
Behind the scenes
- One of the earliest Death Eaters to have joined Lord Voldemort was also named Mulciber. The relationship of the two is unclear, but, given the timeline, it is most likely that they were father and son. However, the references to both Mulcibers are hard to separate and thus it is possible that Karkaroff accused the older Mulciber rather than the younger.
- Despite being a friend of both Snape and Avery he is not one of the names mentioned by Sirius Black when he was listing Snape's school gang. It's unknown why he was excluded, though it's possible that there were other members not mentioned by Sirius.
- During the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in the movie, a Death Eater was defeated by Mad-Eye with a scream: it is possibly Avery or Mulciber, but it is not confirmed.
- Mulciber may have been the one to be hit by Ginny with Reducto in the film adaptation of Order of the Phoenix. Also, it was either him, Avery, Macnair, or Lucius who had Pluto blown up in his face by Luna with Reducto in the book (though whoever it was probably survived).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
Alecto Carrow | Amycus Carrow | Antonin Dolohov | Augustus Rookwood | Avery (I) | Avery (II) |
Barty Crouch Jr. | Bellatrix Lestrange | Crabbe | Evan Rosier | Gibbon | Goyle |
Jugson | Lestrange | Mulciber (I) | Mulciber (II) | Nott | Rabastan Lestrange | Rodolphus Lestrange | Rosier | Selwyn | Thorfinn Rowle | Travers | Walden Macnair | Wilkes | Yaxley
|Death Eaters who Defected:|
|Death Eaters' allies:|
Vincent Crabbe | Golgomath | Gregory Goyle | Fenrir Greyback | Narcissa Malfoy (defected) |
Quirinus Quirrell | Scabior | Dolores Umbridge
Dementors | Giants (Golgomath's control) | Muggle-Born Registration Commission | Snatchers | Werewolves